Never been on the Willamette

W
Wickerdave
Having moved out here from Iowa, I have not yet been on the Willamette, I would like to fish the river for Bass, and I am running a 20' Alumaweld with outboard prop. We live in Sublimity so I would like to fish the Salem area and have heard there is some good fishing over in the Independance area of the river. I have also been told that it's not worth the effort due to the sand bars and shallows. Looking for some knowledgeable input.

Thanks
Dave

E
eugene1
That seems like a big heavy prop boat for that area to me, but I haven't fished there myself. That's way too much prop boat for up in Eugene.

You can go down to the local ramps and see what kind of boats/trailers are around. Probably small sleds and drifters?

Best,

D
DrTheopolis
If it doesn't work out around Salem, the river gets much easier to boat once you get to around Wilsonville/Newberg. And of course, once you get to Oregon City/West Linn, the river becomes huge.

M
Modest_Man
Not going to work well in that boat. You could fish maybe a quarter mile around Wallace Marine Park, and maybe half a mile around the Independence boat ramp. If you want to get around on the Willamette upstream of Rodger's Landing in Newberg a shallow draft and a pump are necessary, especially in the summer and fall.

F
fphowell
Good luck with that sled of yours around Salem. I have a 16' Smokercraft with a 25 hp and the most I can go it about a mile up or down the Willie. As others state, better to go to Boone's Ferry marina in Wilsonville or to Rodger's Landing in Newberg. Both places charge now as opposed to Wallace Marine Park in Salem. Another area close to Salem is Buena Vista which has a free launch ramp. If you get there from the North side you will have to take the ferry across to get to the launch ramp otherwise get there by going through Independence via River rd S and then Corvallis rd. Independence also has a launch ramp, but I have never been there.

Your boat is really made for the Columbia River.