Nestucca springers

S
stinger believer
I'm thinking about heading over to the Nestucca and throwing spinners in tide water for springers like I do for fall chinook this spring. Has anyone tried it? I know a lot of people troll for them at the mouth, but I don't have a boat and I've always done pretty pretty well for fall chinook throwing spinners, but never tried springers. Any tips or advice would be great.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Check the water temps, see if spinners will be worth it. Slow presentations are seeming to be the key for getting Springers to bury your stuff right now. Mostly due to the cold water we have. Try all sorts of baits too. Fist sized globules of eggs, two, to three sandshrimp, Herring out of your stern might be pretty good too. Try it all.

K
Kodiak
High and cold

High and cold

I was on the stuck' yesterday. It's still high and cold...and way early for springers. The coast springers show up a solid month later than they do here in the valley. That run doesn't start to peak until the second or third week in june. Early may should be all right. I would try at the bridge in pac. city. Chart. green seems to pick up the bigger bucks early, blue, and all the usual suspects. Good luck. Oh, if you ask the locals they will all tell you they haven't heard of a springer in that river since 1947.

B
Big Moby
I have done very well for spring chinook in this system. There has already been 1 springer caught, but yes it is still too early. best times are late may through july

I go about it three different ways.

1. troll or cast spinners. you will see about 75% of the guys there are casting blue tip rainbow spinners on the swing tide and bobber fishing the slack.

2. casting weighted spinners on three rivers, below the hatchery. Fish them like steelhead. watch out for the snaggers. they are in thick when the fish are:(.

3. Bobber fish the deep holes. eggs and shrimp.

Good luck and be patient.

C
cchinook
stinger believer

stinger believer

It sounds like you love spinners for salmon - so do I - however only once a year - end of Aug. -to mid Oct. - Tanner Creek fishing area , at the boundery - #4 BLUE FOXES , 4' leader , kidney lead - up river brights - and lots of coho mixed in - largest last year for me was 38 lb. - my buddy got a 42 pounder - it is not a casting contest - they are less than 20 ' away - the fishing is shoulder to shoulder but with a great bunch of guys that are more than willing to help - oh , it is at the Bonniville fish hatchery I84 east bound - if you need better directions , let me know -