Nestucca river2-8-11

brandon4455
brandon4455
first i hope i got the date right LOL. so today my dad had a run to tillamook aand offered to drop me off at the nestucca around hebo. i started out using a stonefly nymph with no hits for about 15 minutes. so i switched it up and went with a bead head hares ear... unfortunately the hook broke off on a rock.. so i pulled ot a bead head nymph i have not used yet that i got from HHM it looks like a bead head prince but the body is purple.. well, anyways after four cats in the same exact spot i had somthing tapping my fly. you could see the thingamabobber bobbing like somthign was nibbling. then it went under and i set the hook.. fish on!!! got a nice little fight from a little 7-8inch cutthroat popped the hook out and back in the water he went. i worked my way downriver to antoher little seam and standed there casting the same fly for about 10 minutes untl i finally had a bite.. and i missed it!!! once again wasn't paying attention.. cost me a fish . i continued fishing the same spot missing two more strikes until i finally set the hook at the right time and this fish took off! and even jumped like a steelhead . but at the end of my line was a pretty litte cutthroat easily pushing 12 inches. then i heard dad yelling my name and i had to pack it up and leave :lol: he said he was calling my name for about 5 minutes and was starting to get worried. guess i kinda zoned out. sorry for no pics i justy ordered a new camera so i will have pics again :Dwater conditions: the water was pretty clear and i didn'tbother stopping at 3 rivers it looked terrible.. wasn't the lowest it could be but it wasn't the best either. im sure just a bit of rain would make it just right and it would fish great im thinkin all the fish are way up higher right now or they are waiting way down low until it gets high again.. we need some rain!!!. ive been getting out a bit more lately and im starting to get the hang of it my roll cast is majorly improving and my back cast is a lot better to. :D

Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
There's still plenty of fresh fish in there. You just gotta change things up in the low water. But once the man run of fish start coming in, It wont matter if the waters low or high.... The fish will come!

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like you had more fun than I did yesterday (at work, and dreaming about fishing).

No, you weren't zoning out...rather, you were "in the zone"...LOL!

L
lilsalmon
Sounds like you had a great day.....just being out is a plus. My son and his friend are camping at the Nestucca this weekend.....been invited but its a bit cold yet.......good job on the catching

troutdude
troutdude
Brandon,

It just occurred to me, that if you were only catching cutts...you may have been fishing slower water. If so, you might try switching to faster water. Steelies are sea run 'bows. And, 'bows like faster (more oxygenated) water.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Brandon, what size flies were you tossing?

brandon4455
brandon4455
idk what size they were... but theybwere bigger then my fingernail ill tell you that, and jay ive caught cutthroat in plenty of fast water. infact i usually catch them right in seams/tailouts etc. just like you would a steelhead