Nestucca report and a TFO shout out

H
Herefishyfishy
My buddy and I decided to take the day off yesterday and fish the Nestucca. We had no delusions that we would have the river to ourselves being a weekday, but we were shocked by the amount of people who had the same idea! It was a zoo on a Thursday!
The water was perfect color and level at right about 6'. We were swinging half chicken and rabbit size flies and being dirty, dirty nymphers with beads. My buddy hooked one about an hour into it on a bead and lost it within a minute. I hooked one on the swing about 10 minutes later and lost it fairly fast too. I was proud of myself though, it took the fly and I didn't flinch, no setting the hook!! :thumb: No other bumps until about 50' from the launch at Farmers my buddy hooked a nice little chrome hatchery brat. I rowed onto the ramp and we got out and netted her, it was sweet!
Had a few low holers but most were pretty courteous. What was strange was the way people seemed so surprised and curious about us fly fishing. People were asking questions about the techniques we were using and saying how "cool" it was...? I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones to ever fly fish that river.
The TFO shout out:
So it's common courtesy to row close to another bout anchored and fishing a slot so you don't float over their water. Somehow on one occasion I got a little too close and the end of my new TFO spey rod hooked something on the other boat. Long story short, the last section pulled off and the leader snapped. causing the section to slip over the sink tip and into the drink, deep drink! Needless to say I was heartbroken and thought I was out of luck since it wasn't a warranty issue. Well, I called TFO and told them exactly what happened and asked if it were possible to purchase a new section. They told me to send it in with $25 just like a warranty repair and they would match that section and have it back to me in a few days!!! That is customer service!:)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice. I wonder if they'd replace the brand new 8wt I left in the back of the guys truck after hitch hiking to my rig one night. Haha

M
markasd
Love the half chicken reference - dirty dirty nymphers. lol! It is a good river for the fly rod - has great swing runs.

Good report and that is great customer service right there.

W
waco
I floated the Nestucca thursday too, I saw a bunch of fly fisher with double and single handed rods!! I was on my blue pontoon!! was very slow day I only got a cutthroat.

C_Run
C_Run
I banked it on Tuesday from the deadline down to Beaver hitting the easy access points. I'd never been there before so it was a day of exploration. Hardly saw a soul until I drove by the Farmer Ramp which looked like Costco's parking lot on a Saturday. I guess those guys know where the fish are, though. I went one for three on hardware and jigs landing one small wild fish on a steelie and lost another small one, also wild, right at the bank on a jig. Had a third one on for about twenty seconds also on a spoon. I like the Nestucca. I got to break in my new bobber rod and reel properly and also got my first steelhead since last March.

O
OnTheDrop
waco said:
I floated the Nestucca thursday too, I saw a bunch of fly fisher with double and single handed rods!! I was on my blue pontoon!! was very slow day I only got a cutthroat.

You should have stayed more local...I heard a couple of good ol' boys hooked over 20 in your back yard Tues/Wed :D

H
Herefishyfishy
waco said:

We talked to you! We were in a White with blue Clackacraft. We didn't see anyone else fly-fishing though. Rod just got sent.

S
schwinndigley
jamisonace said:
nice. I wonder if they'd replace the brand new 8wt i left in the back of the guys truck after hitch hiking to my rig one night. Haha
ouch!

H
Herefishyfishy
Just got home from work and my rod is here! The section is a perfect match, happy day!
They definitely have made a loyal customer, love the rod, the price is right and the service was great. To replace that section when I was clear it was my fault 100% shows real character from them!