Nestucca report 10-17

M
masmith
Hit the nestucca today at 4 PM with my brother and nephew.

We were at the hole 1 mile up from the bridge where you can pull off the side of the road.

I was bobber fishing with eggs and shrimp. Got a few nibbles, sandshrimp torn off my hook a couple times, but was unable to hook one (don't think I hook the shrimp up correctly- but I'll learn someday!)

My brother was running a brass blade spinner with a green body.

After our first 30 minutes a man drift fishing landed a 30+ lbs giant. Unbelievable fish.

At about 1 hour he hooked into something. It fought, ran three times, nearly spooled him, and just put up an amazing fight.

I had waders so I jumped in a few feet and finally grabbed her.

It was a 15 lbs nook (guessing) fat hen. She had two enourmous skein (finally we will be able to cure our own eggs!!).

Anyways, for a few hours of fishing it was worthwhile. Tons of boats rolling, lots of fish jumping.

Last edited:
W
wormosa
nice job....

M
mgdguy
Nice fish! But...looks like a silver..??

J
JeannaJigs
ya nice fish, but like mgdguy mentioned...that mouth is awful white, and i'm not seein' spots...be careful. It's hard to tell though for sure from the picture.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I was thinking the same thing but you never know. Just from the looks of the tail and mouth it looks like a silver.

M
Mike123
Can you keep unclipped silvers on the Nestucca?

W
wormosa
i thought same thing with that upper inside gum

M
mgdguy
sounds like you made a boo-boo masmith! :naughty:

Should be a lesson learned!

M
masmith
A couple things-

1. This was my brothers fish.
2. It does have distinct spots on the top of its back.
3. The mouth has black all the way around it.
4. I could be wrong- but we double checked before we cleaned it and it appeared that he had made the right decision.

Last edited:
S
solution7
If it was a mistake it was most certainly an honest one. I don't think he would post pictures otherwise...

M
mgdguy
Pic removed for fear of self-incrimination? ;)

kidding - I agree with the above post; a mistake is a mistake and if you learn form it that's great. My first few times out I'm not sure I would have always been able to clearly tell the difference.

M
Mike123
I know keeping native coho in select rivers is illegal but man after fishing today I'd say keeping native chinook should be illegal cause there are barely ANY left!
They should have opened up retention for coho and kept the limit low per season and closed chinook. MY .02 cents.

S
solution7
mgdguy said:
Pic removed for fear of self-incrimination? ;)

kidding - I agree with the above post; a mistake is a mistake and if you learn form it that's great. My first few times out I'm not sure I would have always been able to clearly tell the difference.

Thank you, it was not Masmiths mistake anyway it was his brothers fish..

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its not the first time it has happened on the forum this year. A lot of beginning fisherman have made the mistake because of not catching many if any in the past. Now there are coho everywhere and very large ones! There is no excuse but that is part of the problem.

T
Thuggin4Life
steelhead_stalkers said:
Its not the first time it has happened on the forum this year. A lot of beginning fisherman have made the mistake because of not catching many if any in the past. Now there are coho everywhere and very large ones! There is no excuse but that is part of the problem.

L
luv2fish
he did made a mistake .....IMHO..i would let this pass and not make a big deal...but masmith if its yu'r fish or yours or anybody your with....if yu'r not sure of your catch ..just let it go....i have seen lot of people making same mistake and being penalised ....its not very hard to differentiate.....
just keep the white or light coloured ring on gumline in mind....thats it...you don have to worry bout fins..spots or whatever..just take a peek in the mouth and there it is whatever it is

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Well crap I want to see the pic.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah me too I am curious.

M
Mike123
Just type coho salmon in the google images.. ;):lol: JK... Just givin hard time, no hard feelings.. not that big of deal with this many coho anyways. As long as everyone isn't doing it. :shock:

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
haha funny! Caught my fair share of coho. Not a big deal mistake are part of life kinda want to see the controversial pic.