Neoprene vs. breathable

D
DYJ
I'm getting ready to invest in a set of chest waders and boots in the next couple days here and I was just wondering what your Guy's take was on the different waders and fishing in the PNW climate. I'm very concerned about hiking with neoprene waders one. I'm not afraid to walk a ways to get to a hole. But I obviously don't want to freeze my butt off in the water. Any suggestions are appreciated.

D-

M
mlw
neoprene are for those who can't afford breathable :)
Michael

B
bigsteel
get breathables,you will be glad you did in the summer months

D
DYJ
That's kinda the way I was leaning. I figure for the colder times of the year I can wear long johns or sweatpants under them. So my next question is... how much do I gotta spend to get a decent pair? I've seen Bimart has breathables for 60 or so and obviously I've been to the new Cabella's here and seen em upwards towards 200.00?

B
bigsteel
i have the orvis endura waders and they are great and a descent price

H
Hawk
Two years ago i got Hodgman's at WallyWorld (WalMart) :lol::lol::lol:

if'n i remember right they were $50.

N
n8r1
Breathable for sure! You can always throw on some long underwear and other warm layers under them during the winter months, but if you get neoprene you will cook out there during the hot summer months, especially if you are hiking a long distance.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i get to experience the pleasure of fly fishing in my neoprenes in possible 80 degree weather this weekend! LOL. sorry for the hijack. ill go with everyone else, get breathables for sure.

S
sirsnagalot
neoprene have been fine for me for the past several years, in the colder months when I usually wear them I have shorts on underneath. Summer time I just wear shorts and water shoes or sandals if I want to get in the water. But you will get a workout walking in the neoprene when they are wet lol

D
DYJ
brandon4455 said:
i get to experience the pleasure of fly fishing in my neoprenes in possible 80 degree weather this weekend!.

80*!!?!? Your either taking a trip somewhere or you live in a different Oregon, that I don't know about....

Thanks for the help guys. I did end up with a set of Allen (Platte River) Breathable waders from Bi Mart today @ lunch. They had em on sell and I only paid 49.99, but I swore the tag on the shelf said 69.99 and the cashier just smiled and said nope. So anyone looking for a cheep set, in Spfd, might hit up Bi Mart before they figure out they're ringin up 20 bucks cheaper than the sale price.

brandon4455
brandon4455
DYJ said:
80*!!?!? Your either taking a trip somewhere or you live in a different Oregon, that I don't know about....

Thanks for the help guys. I did end up with a set of Allen (Platte River) Breathable waders from Bi Mart today @ lunch. They had em on sell and I only paid 49.99, but I swore the tag on the shelf said 69.99 and the cashier just smiled and said nope. So anyone looking for a cheep set, in Spfd, might hit up Bi Mart before they figure out they're ringin up 20 bucks cheaper than the sale price.

nice job on fidning them cheap. and its suppose to be 84 in thevalley on saturday. it was in the forecast this morning

M
Modest_Man
Who wears waders in the summer?

I have yet to get to cold in my breathables, though one day my feet did go numb when I tried wearing two pair of wool socks when it was well below freezing on the Wilson this previous winter. Took off the extra pair and my feet were fine, little too cramped.

N
natro
DYJ said:

Glad someone brought this question up, because I have been wondering the same thing. And thanks for the heads up on the breathables at Bimart, I might have to go check that out. I bought a pair of neoprenes last year, and I tried using them in the summer. Big mistake though, i ended up sweating like crazy so I just took em off and fished the rest of the summer without even attempting to use them again. I have used them a few times in this crappy weather, with no complaints, but I'm thinking I might check into the breathables.

D
DYJ
brandon4455 said:
nice job on fidning them cheap. and its suppose to be 84 in thevalley on saturday. it was in the forecast this morning

I seen that on this morning news, what odd weather we're having. I don't think it got above 53 here yesterday and now it's gonna jump up 30* in 4 days. Now only if the water would drop down it'll be good fishing

N
n8r1
Picture 1050.png
DYJ said:
80*!!?!? Your either taking a trip somewhere or you live in a different Oregon, that I don't know about...

Brandon is right. Looks like it will be 83 in PDX on Saturday.