Nehalem tomorrow?

B
Big3d
I think I'm feeling very nehalemish. I feel like maybe hitting the hatchery, but I wonder if there is any bank access lower, I was looking at Tohl Ranch rd, which appears to have a launch and a decent piece of land. Does anyone know if you can bank fish this area? Any other suggestions? I'm mostly shooting for hos but a nook is always a blessing. If you have ideas or want to meet up pm me or reply here. Thanks for any thoughts.

S
sapo
When are you going?

I have never fished the Nehalem river itself, only the north fork, not sure but there's probably some fish in there right now, plenty in the bay that's for sure, the rain today might have pushed a few upriver. I would try that road, looks like it would have decent access.

That being said, from what I have seen there is not a hatchery on the Nehalem river. (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the only hatchery in the Nehalem rivers is the one on the NF Nehalem (North Nehalem Hatchery). I know that NF Nehalem gets most of the coho also. Typically it's a zoo at the hatchery there but this year I haven't seen a single person. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that NF Nehalem is so low I don't think a tadpole could go up it.

Typically NF Nehalem is the more productive of the two, but right now it's really low, and although there are probably some fish in there, I don't think it's a great option. Even the mainstem Nehalem is really low...

B
Big3d
Yeah the north fork is the hatchery I was talking about. I thibk I'll probably start there. I would love to find a bank spot on the bay, the one I found before was so far from the channel I didn't feel like I was fishing... A buddy was up there at the hatchery 2 weeks ago and found fish, or so he claims...
Going out there tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll find something or I'll go cuttie fishing on the mainstem later.

S
sapo
How'd it go?

B
Big3d
Just got home. I hit the hatchery with little hope, and yet there were a few rollers, not many, maybe 2 or 3 fish total. So I threw what I had at 'em with no action. I decided to head over to the mainstem at a few of my favorite holes, caught about 8 cutties total, had one on that was quite a beast, probably around 12-14 inch range so I assume it was src, but it played it's acrobat games and I lost it. No pics because I try to release the cutties quickly. Had a good time and enjoyed nature.

S
sapo
Wow, not bad! How many guys at the hatchery?

B
Big3d
1 guy at the handicap dock and a few people just looking around. I was the only fisherman on the whole stretch.