Marine Nehalem Bay Fishing Reports

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Trolled Nehalem Bay yesterday with no bites for us, one hit was it. Saw two fish come unhooked and wild Coho released. Picked our pots with four crabs we could keep and headed for the ramp. Lots of people standing around without much truck/boat movement. A truck and I think boat and trailer were submerged, heard it popped out of gear and parking brake didn't hold or wasn't set. Managed to slid by before the tow truck showed up. Can't complain about no fish.
Sunken Truck.jpg

Reactions: EOBOY, bd2cool and Raincatcher
Irishrover
Irishrover
Oh man that hurts to look at. I'm sure there is some kind of lesson to be learned here.

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover;n613730 said:
Oh man that hurts to look at. I'm sure there is some kind of lesson to be learned here.

An EXPENSIVE one! Hopefully no one was hurt.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Hans you couldn't see the boat? Which ramp. Damn that would make you feel stupid.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Dana it was at the State park. We were picking up our pots near the ramp and saw the back edge of the topper sticking out of the water, went down fast. No extra boat at the ramp so assuming it was still attached. Thinking water came over the stern is why it wasn't floating. I've seen kayakers there who don't have trailers, but they all seem to walk there stuff down to the water.

No one seemed to be hurt. I overheard someone on the phone about what happened, seemed a lot calmer than I'd have been. Thankful it wasn't me.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Went back to Nehalem bay on Saturday. The plan was to drop crab pots at the State park and go upriver for high slack in Wheeler. Several people finally convinced me to try the jaws again in my DB. I did a solo trip last year on the wrong side of a heavy tide change, I think I stretched the webbing in my DB seat.:eek: While driving about a half hour from home I realize I've left the battery to my fish finder in the garage.? We get rigged up, drop the pots and head down river an hour and a half later than planned. Turned out the late start didn't make a difference, 4 laps, 2 fish, 8 crabs in two and a half hours on the water. Need more days like this.:D

• Love
Reactions: bd2cool, rogerdodger and Admin
A
Anotherdude
Nice fish!

Reactions: Hooked Up
EOBOY
EOBOY
Dang Hans I hate forgeting things! Were you using Go Pro's or what? Went a week ago with Mark and all we caught was sea weed:mad:

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
EOBOY said:
Dang Hans I hate forgeting things! Were you using Go Pro's or what? Went a week ago with Mark and all we caught was sea weed:mad:

Dana I was kicking myself for forgetting the battery. Green label herring, natural cure, triangle flashers, 10oz lead. Fished high slack tide. I don't think Mark will take his boat out there. I wasn't going to but a couple people convinced me to try it. We left when the other boats thinned out in case we had a problem especially since the tide was starting to go out.

P
pinstriper
Yeah, not going down that far, when the secondary propulsion is Dana with a paddle !

Lower bays are where the fish are until we get some more rains. Then POW !!!! they'll be higher.

We were above the 53 bridge and saw several rollers, no biters. Fish looked dark and were probably spring fish that are just not figuring out how to ride the tides over a riffle.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Now that was a productive trip and it looks like you had some nice water conditions too. Nehalem is a great place to fish this time of year.

EOBOY
EOBOY
were the crab full or skinny? Ben has been bugging me about going crabbing. I'm tired of Netarts, I've wanted to hit the park for a while now. Thanks for the info

bass
bass
Nice!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
pinstriper said:
Yeah, not going down that far, when the secondary propulsion is Dana with a paddle !

Lower bays are where the fish are until we get some more rains. Then POW !!!! they'll be higher.

We were above the 53 bridge and saw several rollers, no biters. Fish looked dark and were probably spring fish that are just not figuring out how to ride the tides over a riffle.

I'm getting the itch to do some boat fishing using the oars.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
EOBOY said:
were the crab full or skinny? Ben has been bugging me about going crabbing. I'm tired of Netarts, I've wanted to hit the park for a while now. Thanks for the info
They weren't completely filled out, they'll only get better. Cooked up ok.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Irishrover said:
Now that was a productive trip and it looks like you had some nice water conditions too. Nehalem is a great place to fish this time of year.
I feel like I was overdue for a trip like that. Tides were perfect!

Admin
Admin
Nehalem Bay remains challenging, even as it enters peak season for the fall return. Wild coho are starting to show in good numbers, but no consumptive fishery exists for this year's return.

Top Bottom