Needing some line recomendations

U
upstate88
Searching the forums I could not find any recent posts about line choice...

I am running a 2500 series reel rated for a max of 140 yards of 10lb mono or 160 yards of 20lb braid. As we know the recommendations come from the diameter of the line not necessarily the lb test. The 10lb they are referring to would be the industry "standard" of .31mm. This is big diameter 10lb mono, I was looking at Stren Magnathin allowing me to up up to 12lb or even 16lb and be ok for that reel. I was also looking at some power pro braid in 20lb or 30lb.

I am leaning toward the bigger diameter mono as I think it will run a bit better in the reel. I was running some low end braid yesterday and I got several wind knots and even had the braid looping around the bail.

My primary fishing style will be running floats, doing a bit of drifting, and tossing spinners once and awhile. I know guys like the braid for float fishing as it floats.

Sounds like most people are using Hi viz braid in the 20lb-30lb range or mono in the 10lb to 12lb.

Thoughts?

W
Willerman
I run 30lb power pro braid and it works great. never have any problems with knots or looping. I use it on my spinner setup as well; just use a double uni knot to the flouro leader.

hobster
hobster
I also run 30 lb braid tuf line xp or power pro for float fishing. I use maxima mono for mainline and leader drift fishing and spinner fishing. I like the way mono bends better than braid for spinner fishing. I've never gone over 12 lb. mono mainline for steelhead, no need to if your drag is working fine.

H
Hookset
I would second what hobster said.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
30 lb braid main line for float fishing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

B
Big3d
20 lb braid with a uni to uni to a 15 to 20 lb mono leader is my drift setup, I have to agree that 30 might be better though because a good size salmon can still ruin your plans on 20 lb.

U
upstate88
Ok so I am thinking the 30 as it would solve my diameter issue with the reel (long sh!T story.

Has everyone had good luck with Power Pro?

Here is a question that may be stupid but my rod is a 9'6" rated for 8-12 will a salmon snap that thing? I also have a 9' salmon / steel head rated for 10-30 but I have been using that for the coast.

T
troutmasta
Big3d said:
20 lb braid with a uni to uni to a 15 to 20 lb mono leader is my drift setup, I have to agree that 30 might be better though because a good size salmon can still ruin your plans on 20 lb.

X2

But I run 17 lb Nanofill with a good 6 foot mono bumper of 10lb. Works for most steelhead applications.

hobster
hobster
upstate88 said:
Ok so I am thinking the 30 as it would solve my diameter issue with the reel (long sh!T story.

Has everyone had good luck with Power Pro?

Here is a question that may be stupid but my rod is a 9'6" rated for 8-12 will a salmon snap that thing? I also have a 9' salmon / steel head rated for 10-30 but I have been using that for the coast.

The majority of people like power pro and use it. I'd use a stronger rod for salmon, it might not break but you will have no backbone and it is harder to control the fish without a little meat to the rod.

hobster
hobster
troutmasta said:
X2

But I run 17 lb Nanofill with a good 6 foot mono bumper of 10lb. Works for most steelhead applications.

I use a 8 ft. 20-15 lb mono bumper tied to my braid with a uni just for a little more give. Inline swivel weight and usualy 10 lb. leader for winters. Bumper also works great for my bobber stop, i love this setup works great!