Need some suggestions

P

phoenixstar

OK, am hoping this is the right place... Am a Californian here, so please take it easy on me. :lol:

Went salmon fishing for the first time in my life last December with my father-in-law and brother-in-law up at a local lodge near Port Orford, and had an absolute blast! Came away with 2 beautiful fish, memories to last a lifetime, and needless to say, I am now very much hooked, and looking forward to my next trip to the lodge!

Want to try and get my father to join us on these little jaunts up to Oregon for some good times. Looks like he has some time in the 2nd week of September, so going to do a little Fall Run fishing with our own equipment, rather than through a lodge. From what I have read thus far, it looks like the Rogue, Coquille and/or Umpqua would be the best rivers to fish.

Just looking for a little help from the experts in here... Where should we concentrate our efforts this September? I am assuming we would be better served bringing our boat rather than trying to fish from the bank at any of these rivers? We do have a nice 14' Aluminum Boat that should do the trick. Any suggestions on what kind of rigs (poles, reels, line, etc.) we should use?

Honestly, any suggestions would be welcomed! Have very much enjoyed reading all of the helpful comments in other threads the last few days. Thanks!

troutdude

troutdude

Welcome aboard.

I'm no expert on the "southern" rivers. But, I've heard / seen great reports for the Elk and the Sixes rivers too. So, you may want to research those as well.

You can also scour the archives on here, to learn about all of those rivers and see what type of gear and techniques will work best.

Good luck!

P

phoenixstar

Thanks! Funny you mention the Elk and Sixes, as those are the rivers I got to fish last December. Had great luck on the Elk. In doing the research in terms of timing, the rivers I mentioned (Coquille, Rogue and Umpqua) seem to have the best chance for the 2nd week of September. That is why I am focusing on those.

M

Mad dog

Rogue or Umpqua will have fish spread out over 100 river miles by mid-september, they probably fish about the same for Chinook but the Umpqua will have more Coho. The Coquille in the bay? Maybe, the 2nd week of september is a little early for Chinook but perfect for Coho in the tidewater. The lower Rogue will have way more bank access than the Umpqua or Coquille.

P

phoenixstar

Rogue or Umpqua will have fish spread out over 100 river miles by mid-september, they probably fish about the same for Chinook but the Umpqua will have more Coho. The Coquille in the bay? Maybe, the 2nd week of september is a little early for Chinook but perfect for Coho in the tidewater. The lower Rogue will have way more bank access than the Umpqua or Coquille.

Thank you very much for these tips! Yes, we were thinking near the bay on the Coquille. Looks like if we want to do some bank fishing, we need to head to the Rogue.

P

phoenixstar

And I highly recommend getting a copy of this book (it is my "go to" book for our state):

Ordered the new edition (May 2011), so looking forward to the tips in there. Thanks again!

J

JeannaJigs

Southern river I've always wanted to hit up is the chetco but I don't know the timing of the run or the regs I know it's strict. I'd say you probably can't go wrong with the umpqua. I don't get down there as much as I should