Need some John Day advice

B
bigsteel
so im thinkin of planning a trip to the john day for some trout fishing this next year on the fly rod,,as i have never been there i was wondering,where i should target the trout?is the upper john day more trout friendly?how is the access??any help is much appreciated

pms are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
btw i think ive heard of people using black ants and beetles. a small asortment of terrestrial flies might come in handy . forgot to mention that :D i'm not 100% possitive of it being the lower river you fish for trout but, i think it might be because thats where people fish for steelhead.

Last edited:
E
eggs
Heard your better off using poppers for bass..

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Biggie, I just scoured 4 pages of the Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon (by John Shewey). The Middle Fork, has redband trout to 14" with the best time from June - October. And you find the same fish (and sizes) on the South Fork; with best fishing from May - early July.

The book also suggests to leave these South Fork fish alone, during the hottest part of the summer. Water levels fluctuate greatly, which is used for crop irrigation. Therefore, the water temps are dangerously high. Trout stressed by a fight and then released, may not survive. But, the fishing picks up and gets good again in the Fall.

Hope that this helps.

C
colbypearson
eggs said:
heard your better off using poppers for bass..

thats what im talkin about, i hear that place is as much a mecca as the so-umpqua!

B
bigsteel
thanks guys,,ill be headin over there th8is coming year,,see what i can find

F
FishFiddle
I have been really interested in the John Day for quite some time. It is beautiful country but river access can be a problem. There is supposed to be the 'Murtha Ranch' available for public use soon as it is scheduled to become a State Park, whatever that means. There is supposed to be 16 miles of river frontage on this ranch alone (see video on Westfly). I did a driving tour through Prairie City, Kimberly, Fossil Beds, and then to Prineville last year with plans to toss some flies but everything there seemed to be heavily posted as to 'no trespassing'. So do your research before heading out and/or have a contact or guide.