Need some input from you automotive inclined types lol

J

JeannaJigs

My little Kia, though it hasn't been, will ultimately be killed in action as the name implies sooner rather than later, and needs a ton of work, and I'm not putting anymore money into it. Needs close to a grand in work done on it. Forget that!

I'm gettin' a big fat disability check, hopefully, next week, and decided that since I've gone this long on very minimal funds, I can go another month, and instead invest in a used vehicle, that will serve me better.

I found a '93 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 in really good condition, emaculate interior, some blemishes here and there on the paint due to age, but no dents. 137,000miles (Versus my '99 with 200,000 on her) power everything that works, ac that works. V6 auto transmission (would prefer a manual, but oh well), towing set up to tow my most prized posession, decent tread on the tires.

Guy says there's no issues with it, and just had it maintained.

It's been 10 years since I bought a used vehicle, and I got burned on that one, had to put a new engine in it within 6 months.

So...my question is. what should i be looking for when I go drive this thing. I'm car retarded.

J

JeannaJigs

Thanks! that's actually pretty helpfull! I like that they include costs.... I'm always worried about newer-ish vehicles because my kia has been such a pile, and nothing on it has been an easy fix because it's got all this specialized fittings and crap you gotta get fixed through the dealer...which murders the wallet. Old cars...well...my dad rebuilt a '53 chevy truck, and a '63 nova...so he can handle the old goods, but new vehicles have so many electrical issues it seems and computer issues...makes me nervous lol.

G

GraphiteZen

My advice (and I give plenty of it) would be to find a shop that you can trust and pay for a full diagnostic. You can take a chance that your friends know what they are looking or you can be sure and have the thing scanned by a computer and a professional mechanic. I got burned on a fancy-pants European Sport version of a Jetta and, yeah, that's what I learned.
Also, make sure that if you ever buy a sports car that you check the insurance history to assure it wasn't owned my some hot-shot jet fighter pilot in California. Apparently they are real big on adrenaline.

Last edited:
M

Mike123

Which motor does it have? Usually either got the 2.8L(which is gutless) or the 4.0L which has some nuts. :D

I would run the crap out of it on your test drive, that usually finds things that are wrong when driving normally wouldn't.

I should say though the 4.0l gets rotten gas mileage while the 2.8 does pretty good.

I love Jeeps though.. I'm thinking about gettin one too.

Last edited:
J

JeannaJigs

Haha yeah that's what I was thinkin' of doing. Diagnostic scan isn't too expensive, and, really, most of my friends are retarded so i don't really trust their input, haha hence the post on here.... I will never owna sports car, as they serve me no purpose lol. I had a honda crx, that's as close as i got...and I killed it, and almost died. So no more. I just need somethin' with airbags, that will tow my boat to the river.

J

JeannaJigs

Which motor does it have? Usually either got the 2.8L(which is gutless) or the 4.0L which has some nuts. :D

I would run the crap out of it on your test drive, that usually finds things that are wrong when driving normally wouldn't.

4.0L Gonna go drive it Tuesday, if someone doesn't snatch it up before then, and will drive the crap out of it lol

M

Markcanby

Myself I would stay away from the Jeeps. Yeah they are cool looking an the idea behind them is great but they are all crap! the 2.8l blow head gaskets if you run it hard or tow an the 4.0L well you might as well get a Suburban when it comes to gas. There are a lot better cars out there hell I would get a Kia at least I would expect it to be a POS an get it cheap. What kind of price range you looking at JJ?

G

GraphiteZen

Hmm.

Have you considered a 4x Toyota? You absolutely can't go wrong there.

J

JeannaJigs

Preferrably, under 3,500. I'm not lookin' for something that looks good..haha been driving a kia afterall :) I just have had multiple coworkers with jeeps that have had good things to say about them, and I used one to tow my boat once and it towed way better than anything i've driven. Granted, that's not saying much, but that's what i've got to work with.I just want an older vehicle that I can drive the hell out of. Not in a position right now where I want to take on a car payment because bankruptcy via medical bills might be on the horizon sooner rather than later.

M

Markcanby

If that's the case I would look for a older chev since it sounds like pops can fix any problems you have. That Jeep is only going to get 16mpg so why not drop to 12-14mpg an get something you can really use. Any Chevy before 89 is CPU free. When I got my burb there were a lot of nice looking rigs in the 2-3k range.

M

Markcanby

I just need somethin' with airbags, that will tow my boat to the river.

I missed the Airbags part but you dont need them when your rolling around in 6000lbs of steel.

J

JeannaJigs

Haha we'll see. I'm going to look at multiple vehicles before i buy anything.

D

dawgchaw

never ask a fishy people for advice---never buy anything with over 20k miles or 500 hours--much more but i fishy

M

Markcanby

Maybe for you the Jeep will work. I test one over a weekend once an just thought it was way to small inside for the amount of gas it used. I mean dont get me wrong if you were driving it was great. Lots of power in that 4.0L but man that back seat is tight an I can't even fit my tackle boxes in the back.

J

JeannaJigs

Maybe for you the Jeep will work. I test one over a weekend once an just thought it was way to small inside for the amount of gas it used. I mean dont get me wrong if you were driving it was great. Lots of power in that 4.0L but man that back seat is tight an I can't even fit my tackle boxes in the back.

Lol roomier than what i got. My current vehicle used to get 25mpg...now gets about...16. Not really concerned about mileage though really, prior to this kia, after I totalled my honda (which got almost 40, and was kinda nice...) I went to a giant boat of a vehicle, ghettoooo as ever '86 chrysler 5th avenue with a v8 in it. the hood on that thing was longer than the entire length of that honda i drove, it got 10 mpg. That one kinda hurt, and thank god I didn't have to drive that hideous beast for long...so as long as it's more than 10, we're golden.

As far as the back seat goes, I ain't sitting in it lol. That's the dog's territory.

I'll check this one out along with some other vehicles before deciding though.

T

Thuggin4Life

I say get it if if seems to be in good shape. I love my jeep and so does my buddy hwho has the next body style up from mine. not sure but i think the one you are looking at might still be the sylie mine is but could be the boxier predicesor. is it a grand cherokee? one thing if the seat has a slight rip in it dont leave your dog in the car or half the seat will be gone when you come back. we have the v8 and tows like a dream but everyone in a while you need the overdrive when going up a hill towing or somethimes even not towing. i drove one with the straight six one time and it seemed to have some balls. never taking mine 4x4'in but thats because i can't afford to fix it if it breaks. if its not all whell drive makes sure the 4 wheel drive works. another thing people over look is crawl under it and see how it looks. things could be all beat up from idiots trying to be rednecks and the paint and interior looks good but the underside is smashed. basically make sure it sounds right while driving. i would have someone look at it. oh and stop by swabbs and get a free brake inspection. mine didn't feel right and turned out all the rotors were warped and if i knew it before we bought it i would have gotten better deal. oh and make sure you get a car fax not a fox.

J

JeannaJigs

Hahaha Yeah I've driven yours, and yours drives real nice. It's the grand cherokee. He sent pics of it to my phone that i blew up and there's a few paint blemishes, which, you can't avoid on a '93 but no body damage. Was gonna take it somewhere and get it looked at, just not sure where yet, because I have no faith in the idiot that worked on my car previously. definitely will have a brake inspection, i went through that with my honda...the rotors were completely screwed, not a difficult fix, but a pain...and my pops probably doesn't want to do anymore vehicle maintenance for me lol.

roger on the carfax, not fox.

Top Bottom