Need some fly advice

F
fishfry
I had a couple questions for all you fly fisherman. I plan on picking it up here very soon and am starting from scratch with very very little knowledge. First question: what size/weight fly rod should I get? Im targeting fairly big rainbows in the 20 to 30 inch range.

Second question: Where I fish the trout feed heavily on grey/silver minnows around 3 inches in length, so what would be a good sinking minnow pattern and what is the best way to work it?

Any and all inputs appreciated. Ty in advance im really looking forward to learning this art of fishing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i'd go 5/6wt i'd say use sculpin patterns for the fish since they are big and when it gets really warm in late summer around september use hoppers . i'm no expert so if im wrong someone correct me forgot to mention, if you are looking for streamers that resemble minnows you can find them at decent prices on ebay

brandon

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I would go with a 7 wt.. or at least a rod with a fighting butt... A 5-6 isn't gonna cast the types of fly you desire as smoothly... sounds like you will become a classic streamer fisherman... flies like all of the bugger and bunny leech family, dace,, and spruce flies tied more to suite your area... but I would definitely try the purple peril, freight train, and all of the sunrise variants of steelhead flies for trout of that caliber, when you go into a flyshop the clerk is gonna try to hand you a prince nymph and a bobber and try to convince you for the winter dropper setups and scuds and all of the nymphing stuff... and they work awsome for pulling all the dinks out of a spot... bunny leeches in brown and black are gonna produce those trophy fish- now since I took the time to answer your question... next time you get a 28+ incher, would you let just that one... the next one, go.. just one... not trying to convert you.. But you sure must eat a lot of trout!

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
I agree with Brandon. Try a Zonker Minnow and strip your line with long pulls to try and imitate the bait fish the trout feed on. Floating line may work but if the fish are deeper then use an intermediate. The Zonker patterns come in all colors.:)

H
halibuthitman
or any of the wool headed sculpins..

F
fishfry
halibuthitman said:
I would go with a 7 wt.. or at least a rod with a fighting butt... A 5-6 isn't gonna cast the types of fly you desire as smoothly... sounds like you will become a classic streamer fisherman... flies like all of the bugger and bunny leech family, dace,, and spruce flies tied more to suite your area... but I would definitely try the purple peril, freight train, and all of the sunrise variants of steelhead flies for trout of that caliber, when you go into a flyshop the clerk is gonna try to hand you a prince nymph and a bobber and try to convince you for the winter dropper setups and scuds and all of the nymphing stuff... and they work awsome for pulling all the dinks out of a spot... bunny leeches in brown and black are gonna produce those trophy fish- now since I took the time to answer your question... next time you get a 28+ incher, would you let just that one... the next one, go.. just one... not trying to convert you.. But you sure must eat a lot of trout!

Thank you very very much for the info. It may come as a surprise to many but I actually let most of my fish (90 % or so go) and don't actually eat the ones I keep. I have several elderly ppl in the area I take fish to as requested. My last 28 incher was released unharmed ;p

G
Growbug
my pref for this would be a 7wt rod with skulpin, muddler minnow, or large leeches.

E
Eastcoastborn
I would go with a 7wt rod. I use the classic bugger to start with. Zonkers also produce fish. Where are you catching these 28" fish?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I see you are from Sprauge River, there are some very big fish down that way. If you are targeting 20-30 inch fish you must be headed to the Williamson, Wood, or Lower Sprauge or perhaps going over to the Klamath. I know the Sycan is pretty close too. You sure have some options. I've fished the Sprauge a wee bit east of Sprauge River with a 5wt but I was fishing wooly buggers and other regular nymphs. I've only fished the Williamson one, right nexr Colliure State Park by Spring Creek. Again 5wt and regular nymph and buggers. If you venture onto the Williamson and are tossing streamers, I'd do like HHM said and go with a 7wt. I'm curious as to which body of waters yo plan to fish. We don't have to many folks down that way that post reports on those local rivers. So if you happen to venture of to somewhere like the Chewucan out of Paisley please give us a report.;)

As far as what gear to purchase, if you can swing it get a 5wt and a 7wt. There is just a ton of good water down there where you won't run into those 20-30 inch fish but you might have a ball catching some brookies up on the Sycan. I think a couple of us might hit the Williamson this year and I know I'll be brining the 5, 6, and 7wt.

Last edited:
F
fishfry
Where I catch the real hogs are in the sprague river. They average around 25 inches with the occasional 27 to 30 incher. Never see them up on top and have been getting them on rapalas which is why I was wanting a good minnow pattern fly. The klamath produces allot more fish but average around 16 inches with 18 to 21 + inchers scattered in the mix.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I used to do some sheep dog trialing on a ranch that was located between Chiloquin and Sprague River. The ranch was locted right on the river so I alway brout the fly rod along. I was never lucky enough to hook into one of those hogs. There are lots of minnow patterns, might even go with some big leach patterns like a bunny leach. Can't wait to hear how you make out down there.

F
fishfry
Well unfortunantly I have to wait until April 22 to start on the Sprague again but i'm hoping to start practicing in the Klamath River in preparation. I'm hoping to get a drift boat this next summer so I can hit up the Williamson and Wood River. Both those are amazing fisheries as well.

M
Mad dog
You might consider a 6 wt or 7 wt spey rod! Especially for the Canyon where you backcasts will be limited by vegetation! The Wood, Williamson, Sprague, Upper Klamath lake and Agency lake a 6 wt will cover about 90% of your needs. A 7 wt is nice when you want distance, are throwing heavier flies or are trying to fight the wind....a common occurance in the Basin! My son prefers a 7 wt for the Klamath. Check out the fly shop in midland, Darren has some quality rods and reels you can pick up and handle, it'll give you a feel for what you may prefer. He has a lot of great flies there as well!

B
bigsteel
very good info listed,6 or 7 weight would be great,throw a lot of streamers and leech patterns at them,muddler minnow is a very good pattern.

M
Mad dog
This one tried to eat a leech! The staple of any upper Klamath system fish's diet! It would be my go to fly if I was targeting 24"+ trout.
misc025.jpg

P
Phil_Bud
A year ago I was in your situation....I went to riverbum.com to pick up my 5 wt Curtis Fleming TFO (temple fork outfitters) rod and a ross reel...I went cheap on the reel...I would suggest spending more then 50 or even 100 bucks on a reel though. On a commercial on VS. he reels in a 10 pound rainbow in fast current with this 5 wt rod... so its money...I've had the time of my life catching trout, bluegill, crappie, and bass on this thing...I run 6 pound line and leader for easier casting. I think it would handle a 30 incher no prob.
Good luck...I garuentee it will change ur life for the good. especially if you get into that 30 incher. lol I've only caught half pound trout and theres nothin like it bud.

brandon4455
brandon4455
also for flies, go to ebay and find sculpin,leech and minnow patterns you can get a dozen of flies for under 9 bucks on there it will save ya some cash unless you have a local fly shop with good prices

P
ProfessorChromology
One other great minnow pattern is the Clouser Minnow. You'll probably have to online to offshoreangler.com or similar to find them, but they come in all colors and sizes. I think matching the Clouser to the baitfish is the ticket. Almost every Clouser comes with half of it WHITE. This is a key ingredient to baitfish imitations as most fish have a white underbelly. They also have lead eyes, so they will drop down under the cut banks really well. Another important thing to remember is that big fish are big for a reason. They are educated. Be stealthy and sneak up on the spots where you know they are. Don't let your shadow get on the water. And keep a low profile. I fish Clousers down stream if the current will allow it. There are also marabou versions of the clouser that have more action than the traditional bucktail version and work really well for big trout. One more thing..the bigger rod is better than the smaller one. It is easier to cast big flies with a bigger rod...AND you can fight a fish faster so it can be more easily revived and RELEASED to fight another day.