Need some advice

J

JMac

I'm new to Oregon and am looking for a great place to take my girlfriend and her 8 yr old son on a fishing/canoeing/camping trip this weekend. Ideally I'd like to find a lake that I could load the canoe with all our gear and find our own campsite. I really wanted to go to Waldo because I had read that I could find that kind of camping and I checked out some of the posts on OFF and it sounds like the perfect lake but I'm affraid the mosquitos will be too much for the little guy. I'm also concerned that the fourth of july weekend might be a little crazy for a lot of lakes. I live in Portland but don't mind driving up to 4 hrs for the right place. So i guess I'm looking for a gorgeous lake with primitive campsites and good fishing that won't be packed with people or mosquitos this weekend. Maybe i'm dreaming but I figure its worth a shot. I bought my canoe eight weeks ago and have already hit 6 different lakes and haven't gotten skunked once. Not trying to brag...just absolutely loving the state of Oregon. :)

Troutski

Troutski

Smith Res.

Smith Res.

I'm new to Oregon and am looking for a great place to take my girlfriend and her 8 yr old son on a fishing/canoeing/camping trip this weekend. Ideally I'd like to find a lake that I could load the canoe with all our gear and find our own campsite. I really wanted to go to Waldo because I had read that I could find that kind of camping and I checked out some of the posts on OFF and it sounds like the perfect lake but I'm affraid the mosquitos will be too much for the little guy. I'm also concerned that the fourth of july weekend might be a little crazy for a lot of lakes. I live in Portland but don't mind driving up to 4 hrs for the right place. So i guess I'm looking for a gorgeous lake with primitive campsites and good fishing that won't be packed with people or mosquitos this weekend. Maybe i'm dreaming but I figure its worth a shot. I bought my canoe eight weeks ago and have already hit 6 different lakes and haven't gotten skunked once. Not trying to brag...just absolutely loving the state of Oregon. :)

Try Smith Res. on the McKenzie...the camp grounds are in the back of the lake and the only access is by boat. There is a five mile per hour speed limit on the lake so you don't have to worry about the PWC or skiers. Wonderful lake, plenty of fish and very easy to catch. If you do a search on this site you will find plenty of post. Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Chuck

T

TTFishon

Try Smith Res. on the McKenzie...the camp grounds are in the back of the lake and the only access is by boat. There is a five mile per hour speed limit on the lake so you don't have to worry about the PWC or skiers. Wonderful lake, plenty of fish and very easy to catch. If you do a search on this site you will find plenty of post. Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Chuck

There's one camp spot midway to the back camping that I like to camp at. It's a small spot with no bathroom or neighbors.

J

JMac

Thanks so much guys...Those pictures look great Chuck. This looks like the place to try out this weekend. Anymore suggestions for upcoming weekend trips greatly appreciated. OFF is such an amazing resource. Looking forward to learning more about these lakes so I can contribute more myself. Thanks again! John

J

joesnuffy

that looks like a real nice Res. Good luck on staying away from ppl though.

T

TTFishon

that looks like a real nice Res. Good luck on staying away from ppl though.

That's for sure. I've only gone there once during the summertime. I drove in long enough to turn around and leave. My favorite time to camp there is in November. I can go all weekend and not see a soul.