Need some advice

B

Bosco

I'd like to take my son, who lives in Eugene, on a trout fishing trip in July or August. I live in Texas and don't know where the best places to go are. Can anyone give me some ideas on where to go and what guide service they would recommend?

Thanks,
Bosco

B

Bad Tuna

You couldn't go wrong with a trip to Diamond lake. http://diamondlake.net/ you can rent a boat, stay at the lodge, or tent camp. Crater Lake is very close by as well for sight seeing. Trout here range from Dinks at 14" to whoppers at 7 lbs. Currently they are a little over populated. You and your son should have an incredible angling experience. It's fairly close to Eugene as well. Good luck!

troutdude

troutdude

X 3. You and your son would never forget time spent @ Diamond Lake!

Visit these archived OFF threads, and you should be able to learn all that you need to know about Diamond. We recently posted links for the lodge, camping information, fishing information and lots more.

Also as mentioned, you should really plan a jaunt to Crater Lake while you are at Diamond. It's a very short drive (15 minutes or so, as I recall); but WELL worth it. Crater is truly AWE INSPIRING & BREATH TAKING! I'd suggest fishing in the morning and evenings, and go to Crater mid-day as the bite slows down.

Good luck, have a safe trip, and welcome to OFF!

F

FishFiddle

Diamond is a good one for sure. If you can swing it I would also hire a Drift Boat guide on the Mckenzie River. If you have never been on the Mckenzie in a Drift Boat, you are missing an opportunity of a life time. Trout are ever present and in July the summer Steelhead are in the river in good numbers. Not many places you could hook a Summer Steelhead on one cast and a Native Redside Trout the next. Try to send us a report on your trip, 'Good Luck' and enjoy.

S

skunk

The Mckenzie is a stellar river. Get in touch with The Caddis Fly Angling Shop in Eugene if you are looking for a guided trip.

B

Bosco

Thanks for all of the input. I'll read throught the posts on Diamond Lake. I may have some more questions then. I've driven along the Mckenzie river. It a beautiful river. I'm getting excited already. Good fishing to all of you. Leave us a few.

Bosco

J

JeannaJigs

Another vote for the mckenzie. Way more exhilarating than lake fishing!