Need some advice on Eugene area trout.

C
CPLLEWIS
Hello all Trout Seekers,

This is my first year back home in 4 years of being overseas in the Marine Corps. I was a "OK" fisherman in highschool before I left, and now that I am back I can't catch a thing. I do know it is early in the season for trout but i also do know that they are out there looking for a easy meal in the cold water of Febuary. I was very closed minded as far as fishing goes in highschool, I.E. worms, powerbait, pretty much sums it up.

I have recently started using many other trout options like Rooster tails, blue fox spinners and even some jigs, but to no avail. can anyone give me some advice on tackle and location? I have had one bite in 2 solid weeks of fishing. I am not looking for lunkers, just some trout to reel in.I have a pontoon boat and can access a lot of places. Thanks for reading.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Welcome to the site man! Get ready for some good fishing!

Troutski hook this dude up, you said you were free sometime next week? :cool::cool:

C
CPLLEWIS
I am open until summer time. fishing is all I plan on doing this spring. Did the first float of the year in my toon on the mckenzie saturday and i am ready to start catching some fish.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
You have a steelhead tag and any gear?

C
CPLLEWIS
I can get my steelhead tag but i dont have the know how or gear to attempt that, always wanted to do some fishing for steelhead.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Do you have a Scotty's rod holder on your toon?

C
CPLLEWIS
No, but i have a decent rod holder that came with the toon, i bought it used and the previous owner had it put on.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Nevermind on the rod holder. If it's not the right type I have an extra you can borrow. You reel right or left handed?

C
CPLLEWIS
I reel left handed

Admin
Admin
GraphiteZen said:
You reel right or left handed?

Don't you know that Marines can do it with both hands? Hooah! :D

Welcome aboard, CPLLEWIS.

C
CPLLEWIS
lol yeah yeah, we can do it with both hands. I get more crap from being a Jarhead then anything else, but i can take it:cool:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Awesome. So, I assume your in pretty good shape right? :cool:

I'm thinking we hit the Siletz in a few days and pull some diver and baits for steelies! Have you ever seen that done?

C
CPLLEWIS
yeah i am in pretty good shape, I have no idea about steelhead fishing, but i pick up things fast.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Running a diver and bait is easy. You take the hooks off a hotshot diver or whatever then tie a 24'' or so leader off the back of it with a prawn. Then you just back row and let your line out about 30 or 40 feet, click your bail and just slowly lower it downriver. Fun stuff man. Your tip goes from bobbing with the gyration of the diver to just slamming down FISH ON! We could also stop off and bobber fish some spots. You can do that with a typical trout rod.

If your game let me know. Fishing should be great the next couple weeks. :dance::dance:

C
CPLLEWIS
thats sounds great, I am always down for any fishing. I am currently limited on transportation but willing to throw in gas money.

C
CPLLEWIS
holy cow! I have hooked some big rainbows growing up but never anything as big as that. that thing would pull my toon all over the place. once you land it with a toon where do you put it? use a stringer off the side?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
No problem, the drift I was thinking is the "town loop" and you only need one rig for that as the putin is only about 5 blocks from the takeout. The drift itself is like 4 1/2 miles and fairly close to the bay so there should be some nice chromers coming in with the rain.

Sounds like a plan, I'll come up with a date and we'll go try to hook some steelies!! :dance:

C
CPLLEWIS
sounds like a plan man. name the time and place.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Will do!

Admin
Admin
CPLLEWIS, check this thread tomorrow. Our Super Moderator, Troutski, is from Eugene/Springfield area. And if a guy has a name Troutski, it means something. ;)