Need side imaging/down imaging fish finder recommendation

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
My fish finder is 15 years old and was on the lower end price-wise to start with. I think it is time to upgrade and would like a unit with both side and down imaging. I am looking at the Garmin Striker Plus 7sv for around $500. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or a recommendation for a different one? It seems like the larger/more expensive units have a lot of features like trolling motor control that I wouldn’t use. Will mainly be used for bass fishing.

4labs
4labs
A lot of good reports with the Garmin. Looked at them yesterday at Cabela's and were on sale.
Don't know about navionics card .
Looked at Humminbird and the side scan was really neat
I will probable go with Simrad or Raymarine

Reactions: fromthelogo
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I've been using a Lowrance Hook2 5" triple shot on my Outback since about Nov. 2018 and it has performed very well.

occasionally, it has lost contact with the bottom and required me to manually set the depth until it locks on again but all of my sonar units have had that issue now and then, the tall dense weeds in Siltcoos are one of things that trigger that.

I split the screen with sonar and down scan split across the top and side scan across the full lower width of the screen.

side imaging/down imaging fish finder recommendation

Last edited:
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I had the previous model Garmin, Striker 7sv, absolutely loved it.

But I didn't need mapping, the gps was just the vessel, tracks, and heading all on a blank white screen, I think the plus might have at least a shoreline, not sure.

It was my first time using side imaging and I'm really glad I went with Garmin, by far the most user friendly in the industry.

Hummingbird has more accurate sideview, but even with mine I could pick up fish and shapes.

No experience with raymarine, there was a few good deals when I was looking but I definitely didn't want touchscreen and for the same price the units were much smaller

Pretty sure I bought mine for 250$, as the plus models were coming out when I bought mine

Only problem I had was heat, (this all took place in Florida) it would freeze or shutoff If it baked in the sun, I remounted it under a tinted window and if helped a little. I kept a dish towel over it if I wasn't using if and that almost solved it.

bass
bass
I am a big Garmin fan but I think all the companies make great stuff. I have a bunch of pics of my 73sv and my new 106sv posted on here. Find a good deal and you will be happy no matter which brand you pick.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I use the striker plus 7 and would recommend it. I think mine was $400 on sale at Cabela's.