Need input/wood boat refinish

S
Santiam338
My buddy just bought this wood driftboat for cheap..I am going to help him get it back on the water..
He has started on the sanding and it seems like it is mostly in solid shape..One major spot of dry rot on the floor about 3 inches by 3 inches..
Need input on the proper paint and what to do with the dry rot spot...Also what to do with the bottom.It looks like it has gluvit or something similar..

Not looking to make a showpiece,just a solid fishing boat ..Haven't done anything like this and just looking to get ideas on how to start...After the sanding of course...LOL

Thanks.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
3M makes an epoxy/fungicide combo that you apply to dry rot wood that reinforces it and brings back it's strength, along with killing the rot so it won't spread. Just sand the crap out of the boat, maybe hit it with another coat or two of standard waterproof epoxy - and if the wood looks good - I'd be really tempted to just varnish the thing or otherwise apply a clear, waterproof coating (with UV protection!). If the wood is lacking, or it's just not your bag, any good marine paint will work A-OK inside and out. Might want to hit the floor with a paint/sand mix, or something to provide some slip resistance.

Finish the bottom up with a graphite/epoxy mix (which kind of looks like what's on there now) - it'll slide over rocks/sand/gravel much easier that way.

Wood boats rock.

G
Growbug
GungasUncle said:
3M makes an epoxy/fungicide combo that you apply to dry rot wood that reinforces it and brings back it's strength, along with killing the rot so it won't spread.....

3M or System Three?

I have just invested $60 in a box of Rot-Fix by System Three. If it does what it says on the box, then my rot problem will be fixed. Dry out the wood, if it isn't already, get rid of the loose wood and then soak the whole area with Rot Fix epoxy. Any holes left afterwards it says to use its other product, which is a wood epoxy putty; something you can get most anywhere.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I think they both make a product like that - hell, what DOESN'T 3M make? :) I mean, anything from scotch tape to fly rods, reels and lines (Scientific Anglers is a 3M company). But yeah - the stuff you got will work just fine.

G
Growbug
GungasUncle said:
I think they both make a product like that - hell, what DOESN'T 3M make? :) I mean, anything from scotch tape to fly rods, reels and lines (Scientific Anglers is a 3M company). But yeah - the stuff you got will work just fine.

Most probably both yeah... I only queried it cos they both had a 3 in them...

---

edit... OMG.. the instructions inside the box of Rot Fix directs you to the online instructions...
you GOTTA check this out.. also posting it as a funny in the boat section..
Restore my wood!

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
I did enjoy that video, system three makes good products.

J
JeannaJigs
Since you're working on boats...want to give mine a facelift? LOL.

D
duanedoran
What's so funny about giving your boat a facelift? How bad can it be??

J
JeannaJigs
My boat is a hideous beast.

S
Santiam338
JeannaJigs said:
Since you're working on boats...want to give mine a facelift? LOL.

I am not sure we are going to have time..LOL The more we dig the more we find..Took the outside Chine off and found some more dry rot of the serious kind...This boat has to be on the cheap as my buddy cannot afford a good one..Lots of kids...LOL

WE will get this one going though and it will catch fish again..

Thanks for the replies we are investigating them all...Going to start with system 3 and go from there..

S
Santiam338
JeannaJigs said:
My boat is a hideous beast.

As was mine this time last year...You have seen my facelight,but since then I have added a regular driftboat trailer..I had a monkey rigged trailer that sucked...Got me a 87 Koffler built trailer that I have also facelifted...Only thing left to do on mine is redo the inside this summer...

It seems to be a neverending work of progess..

IMG_0002.jpg

J
JeannaJigs
Ya you did a good job on that one! I wish I could just paint mine but it needs some glass work that I'm not sure I'm up to doing lol. Whole bottom needs to be restored after I got it upside down to patch a hole last summer i became painfully aware of what I'll be doing this summer. the inside needs work too and I'm not sure how I want to go about that just yet. Dang boats lol.

J
JeannaJigs
Oh damn!!! That came out freaking sweet!!! Very nice work. Damn my boat's ugly lol.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Looks like you guys worked your tails off on it Bill, looks real good, hopefully ill get up there and see it on the water soon. Nice work!

H
halibuthitman
jenna... my boats the ugliest boat around... battleship gray and citol deck finish interior... re-doing these old jems is fun.. great job that rig is stunning!

H
halibuthitman
huh... funny, won't load the only good picture of it finished??? well use your imagination I guess.....

R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive seen your boat, its a good looking boat.

S
Santiam338
I am trying to imagine,but its not working:confused:..Hope you get it loaded..;)

We used battleship grey also...Not as dark as we was thinking...May or may not darken it a little..Still have some minor stuff to do,some pinstriping and stuff...

Now that this boat is about done I am looking forward to RIDING for a change..;)

R
RunWithSasquatch
Santiam338 said:
Now that this boat is about done I am looking forward to RIDING for a change..;)

Wow, that sounds nice, doesn't it:clap:

J
JeannaJigs
I hear that! I love my boat and have only trusted one other person to row it, and that was after my wreck last summer when I was crippled up with crutches and pain meds, but damn it's nice to get to fish the entire time instead of rowing all day. Person up front by default always gets more fish casting into pockets and what not. I gotta give up control someday.