Need help with recomendations for good fishing clothing.

W
willson
When i go bass fishing i just wear creek shoes and shorts no big deal. Obviously its getting cold and i need help with a good comfortable setup for steelhead/salmon fishing all day.

Currently i am just wearing some cheap $25 walmart rain boots with my pants tucked into them with a dickies rain coat. It works but its nor comfortable. I was looking at chest waiters and fishing bibs. I think i like the idea of a bib better but am not sure. What do you all use and why? and if i use a bib, what type of shoes/boots do i wear under it because from my understanding a bib doesn't seal at the bottom like waiters do.

I am just using a small flambeau cloth tackle bag, i dont have tons of tackle like for bass and am interesting in maybe getting something that strap around my waist so i don't have to sit down to re-rig my stuff all the time.

Finally i want a nice waterproof jacket that is easy to cast in, warm, light weight.

Sorry for the long drawn out post. i want to get some good gear soon as i plan on going on a lot more trips very soon. thanks guys!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
In the winter the neoprene chest waders are a blessing around here as far as I am concerned. Nice and warm with waterproof boots=comfortable enough to keep fishing when the fisher folk in jeans and raincoat head for home. I happen to have a pair of them that I'm not using. If you're interested, let me know. I'm also in Salem, along with dozens of others. For the jacket, I recommend you buy one at least one size bigger than normal. That way you can wear layers underneath and still move. Just about any decent one will get you through the winter if you have hoodies underneath. Your best friend will end up being studded Korkers instead of felt bottom boots. The felt will get more than your boots filled up...just ask bigsteel...lol

B
BobbiDollPDX
Raincatcher said:
Your best friend will end up being studded Korkers instead of felt bottom boots. The felt will get more than your boots filled up...just ask bigsteel...lol

Felt will also get you a bruise the size of Montana close to, if not on, your nether regions.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
BobbiDollPDX said:
Felt will also get you a bruise the size of Montana close to, if not on, your nether regions.

So will a four foot high cyclone fence...and you bounce better than I do,youngun'. :shock: :lol::lol: Up and over is not nearly as fast as down and under....:whistle: :doh: :wall:

W
willson
So you think bibs are a bad idea than? they just seem easier to move around in and less restricting. I don't want something super tight on me.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
willson said:
So you think bibs are a bad idea than? they just seem easier to move around in and less restricting. I don't want something super tight on me.

No, I don't think they're a bad idea at all. Just that neoprene is warm in the winter and breathables are really nice in the warmer weather. I'm sure someone else will chime in with at least a nickel's worth of advice for you.

W
willson
The only reason i am concerned with getting the neoprene chest waiters is because it seems like bibs would be much easier to clean or just take off and toss in the back of the truck after i'm done for the day.

P
Phil_Bud
Get chest watters. felt boots. boot warmers. sweats under watters.couple layers up top. hat glasses.
fish on

B
BobbiDollPDX
I vote for breathable waders, definitely bibs. Just get them big enough to wear sweat pants under. I've heard neoprene is brutal in the summer.

troutdude
troutdude
BobbiDollPDX said:

Hmmm...it sounds like "someone" is speaking from "experience"...LOL.

X 2 on the Neoprene's. They're awesome; flexible and comfy.

When it get's seriously cold, I wear a Rivers West hooded camo Parka. It is designed (as are the matching bib overalls), to not even need any layered clothing underneath. They will keep you VERY toasty. They're made for hunting in ultra cold climates like the Rockies and / or Alaska.

They arent' cheap (around $500 - $600 for the set), but they ARE the nicest camo fishing / hunting outerwear that I've had!!!

W
willson
BobbiDollPDX said:
I vote for breathable waders, definitely bibs. Just get them big enough to wear sweat pants under. I've heard neoprene is brutal in the summer.

so do you just wear boots under the bib? how does it prevent water from getting into your socs or feet?

M
Modest_Man
I'm all about layers. Avoid cotton at all costs. If it gets wet from rain, the river, or sweat and then you get cold it can literally kill you. I've got a set of the breathable chest waders. When it's pretty cold I wear a pair (or two) of wool socks, long undwear (wool/poly NO COTTON), and a pair of thick fleece pants (or two!). For the top I wear more long underwear, fleece shirt (or two...), down vest, and/or waterproof shell if it's raining. Throw in a hat and some gloves and I've been good at below zero (granted I had icicles in my beard but oh well).

Then if it starts off freezing and warms up later in the day you just strip off a few layers and maintain a confortable range. Most of my fishing clothing came either from Goodwill (tons of nice, ugly, fleece) and REI garage sales. I'm a cheap ass. Total retail for my clothing would probably be around $1000 but I've probably spent around $200, and I use them for hiking/backpacking as well as general use.

My waders have a neoprene footie that I just slip some tennis shoes on over. I find I have better luck with standard tennis shoes than felt wader boots since I have a lot more flex in the tennis shoes and can feel the bottom a lot better.

B
BobbiDollPDX
willson said:
so do you just wear boots under the bib? how does it prevent water from getting into your socs or feet?

You wear the boots over the waders. The waders have waterproof feet built into them. The wading boots have holes in them so that the water runs in and out.

W
willson
i thought that bibs traditionally were not sealed at the bottom, so your feet actually came through them. It seems all the bibs i have looked at have cuffs at the bottom vs footies.

B
BobbiDollPDX
These are the same brand I am wearing in my avatar, the feet are neoprene unnamed.jpg

W
willson
awesome! thanks for all the info from everyone i really appreciate it. I am counting the days until my next trip out.

S
SALTYFISH
1 more vote for neoprene, for the winter when it's cold. who needs waders in the summer?I just were crummy shorts and some creek stompin shoes and go for it!!

C
capblack
i use breathable guide pants. just buy them big enough to put some layers under, and your good all year. waders are only restricting if you buy them too small. by bibs if your talking about rain bibs, they are fine if your not gonna stand in the water, and you have a nice pair of gore tex boots, but waders are much more comfortable in my opinion, Brian

J
Jig'n
Breathable waders are great in the winter too, just as long as you dress properly underneath! First start with a very good pair of thermal socks (don't go cheap on these). My first layer is a nice comfy pair polar weight thermal bottom’s, then I pull a pair of Fleece wader liners over the top. I've stood for hours in 40 degree waters with this set up.

For upper layers, I do the exact same, except I'll add a light wind proof fleece jacket under my rain jacket.

If you plan to do a lot of wading, I would invest a wading jacket. Wading jackets are cut shorter and stay out of the water while wading. They also usually come with enough pockets so that you won't need your fishing vest.

Jig'n