Need help identifying please

T
tomriker
so i bought a bass boat the other day and it didn't have a motor but had the throttle body still, was wondering if anyone could identify the brand. looks like somone painted over this one. is it worth saving and trying to find a motor to go with it? or just junk it and get a new one when i get a new motor? thanks in advance, TR

IMG_8010.jpg
IMG_1030.jpg

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck finding the motor to match. better off getting controls with a motor. and why no pictures of this new boat?

T
tomriker
but im cheap and trying to save some money :) its nothing special just an old alumaweld 16ft bass boat, better than the 12ft dinggy i was fishing out of :D

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
T
Thuggin4Life
Right on! better find out the make of the controls and what the are compatable with then sorry not my area maybe take them out and bring them to a shop for i dentification.

N
nwkiller
good idea!

A
Amberjack
If you are re-powering the new/used motor should come with controls, unless its a tiller. I would not buy a used outboard without controls. Cheap and marine, does not mix. Trying to mis-match crap will end up costing you more in the long run, especially if a service shop is involved. Save your coin and do it right.

Last edited:
T
tomriker
Amberjack said:
If you are re-powering the new/used motor shoud come with controls. Cheap and marine, does not mix. Save your coin and do it right.

that's what im afraid of....

the boat will never be used anywhere besides my familys lake, so i may just take it out completley and just sit at the back and steer and not at the drivers seat.

at this point we had a new 2hp honda air cooled motor in our shop not being used so i threw that on there... it gets me back and forth in the pond, maybe ill just spend the money to get a better electric motor for the front

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
electric is the best if you want to get around stealth and good for the lake, bad motors will have oil and fuel leak issues......kinda hard if youy have a big lake but a small one would be great with a nice electric trolling motor...u can get that one that u use your foot...great for bass!! and it would probably push ur boat around good

T
tomriker
with the price of the kind of outboard i want, i could buy a nice electric motor +a fish finder and still have money left over for more tackle :D

N
nwkiller
that sounds sweeter

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Looks like a 70's or 80's vintage Mercury throttle/shift control box to me.

If you buy a brand new motor - they do not come with controls. It's extra. Even the used stuff from a lot of dealers is sans controls, unless it explicitly says it comes with them.

When I was toying with the idea of trying to finance a new motor for my boat a year ago, I called up a few dealers to inquire about pricing on a new 50hp Merc or Evinrude - I asked them all if the throttle controls come with. All said "Nope!". The average price for a new throttle/gear control box is about $100, not including the cables. Cables are also separate - gotta buy those to fit the length of the boat, and the distance between the engine and the helm. Cables ran from $30 to $100... Oh, and factor in about $100-150 for a propeller too, as the new engines come w/o props (this made me do a face palm). Then if you're not comfortable installing the new engine yourself - factor in another $150 or more for the techs at the dealer to do that. You may or may not also need a new steering arm - depending on the motor you get.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
One more thought... you could probably toss that control box up on Craigslist and make it disappear pretty easily, and have some of that rectangular green stuff appear in your pocket in it's place. There's a lot of old mercs out there that don't come w/ controls, and someone is sure to snap that thing up.