Need help for a beginner

K
keen_angler
Hello Everyone

Need some serious advice.

I am very new to angling, some how managed to get decent angling gears to begin my angling episode.

I am looking forward to know a few locations around Hillsboro, Beaverton or Portland where I can do shore fishing for Trout, Carp, Crappy ( Any beginner fish).

Are there any locations where I can get a guranteed strike at this time of the year, I mean the coming weekend. I got an yearly angling licence for 2010today.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Rex

T
Troutier Bassier
Hey Rex, Welcome to the forum!
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

If I were you I wouldent start fishing for anything until spring break. Cause thats when most fish start biting. I dont know much places around Hillsboro but the Willamete, You can catch ANYTHING there with a worm during spring.

Im sure you will get more Input.

S
shabam
Rex,

I too am fairly new. I've had a pole for years, but never really used it (caught 3 fish). I've been wanting to do it again, so used some Christmas money to get some new tackle. Daughter (4 yrs old) is now VERY excited to go fishing, so I have to take her out. I think I'm either going to Smith and Bybee Wetlands or Kelly Point Park. For me, I think it is less important that we catch something, but that would be nice. I'm a little nervous about feeding my family from the Willamette, so I'm more likely to go to Smith and Bybee...

I'll be watching this thread in case anyone else comes up with some good ideas for us.

K
keen_angler
Need Help for a Beginner

Need Help for a Beginner

Thanks TB for the offer to answer more questions, Infact I do have a lot initial questions and hesitations.

I understand that this is not the perfect time to go fishing, but I could not resist my temptation to throw the hooks into the water, looks like if I do not get a chance, I might throw the hooks into my aquarium!:lol:

Let me wait and see if any one can recommend a place to throw my tackle in..

Shabam, thanks for the name of the place, I will check the weather and keep this place in my list for the weekend..Is fishing from shore allowed in this place?

Now I have a few questions:

1) How do we identify a waterbody in which we can legally do fishing? I know we have a regulations book, but it looks like it does not cover every single pond or lake...Is it an offence to look for trout if a particular waterbody is not listed in the regulations book? How do we ensure this?

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
adambomb said:
Recreation Report: Willamette Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife This link will give you a weekly update of different bodies of water in the Willamette unit. The ODFW site is a great resource for all of your regulatory questions. The trout stocking schedule for 2010 is also available. Welcome to the forum and GO CATCH SOMETHING!!

Good suggestion. I check the recreation report once a week, also my local paper has a outdoor section once a week. Check to see what places they stock with trout in your area than buy some night crawlers and power bait. For me its easier to catch trout now the water is cooler and lower.

K
keen_angler
Thanks Adambomb for the suggestion. I could get most of my doubts clarified.

I also got the google maps for

"Lets Fish Saturday 50 places to go fishing within 60 minutes of Portland "

which is very informative, I will check each waterbody individually one after the other.

If weather permits, I am planning to check out Bethany Lake and common wealth park lake this week.

Please let me know if it is a bad idea for a beginner.

S
shabam
keen_angler said:
Shabam, thanks for the name of the place, I will check the weather and keep this place in my list for the weekend..Is fishing from shore allowed in this place?

Yes, you can shore fish at both Kelly Point Park and Smith and Bybee Wetlands. At KPP I see people shore fishing daily. I don't have a Salmon tag, otherwise, I'd probably fish there, but I won't eat any native fish in that area...

K
keen_angler
shabam said:
Yes, you can shore fish at both Kelly Point Park and Smith and Bybee Wetlands. At KPP I see people shore fishing daily. I don't have a Salmon tag, otherwise, I'd probably fish there, but I won't eat any native fish in that area...

Thanks Shabam, Even I dont have Salmon Tags, I only have an 2010 yearly angling licence.

Does it mean,

I can not fish in the Rivers? What happens if I unintentionally stike a Salmon with out a Salmon tag while fishing for Trout or other game fish.

T
Troutier Bassier
Nothing, Just release it unharmed.
KPP Has good begginer fishing, Sturgeon and Carp. then Smaller fish like Bass and Perch. a lot of fun there.

K
keen_angler
Thats Nice, My intention is only to catch & release.

I am all set for KPP now, appreciate your response TB.

Rain Rain Go-Away, this is my fishing Day....come again another day..!:pray::cool:

T
Troutier Bassier
There might be some fish but not a lot. You might catch a Whitefish or two. Those are fun. :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
tonights rain brought me free bait.

K
keen_angler
My First Trout Experience..

My First Trout Experience..

Ok..After all the discussion here..I have decided to find a place where I will get a guaranteed fish bite...Is there something called "Guaranteed fish bite" makes sense here!! Anyway..

Here is what happened on the last Saturday..As I was looking for a guarantee, I have decided to get my first trout from a trout farm...!!:cool::D

I have headed towards Indian Springs trout farm in oregon city...pretty nice setup...For a person looking for guaranteed fish bite...it was too much of a guarantee..looked like...if you just drop a line without a hook, trout might bite the line and come out..

We bagged 6 trouts with in 20 mts...and decided to head towards KPP to enjoy the real angling..KPP we spent 1 hour with no sign of fish...headed back home...

Planning to try my luck at Sheridan Pond this week...Let's see...will keep you posted...

T
Throbbit _Shane
If your ever in southern oregon i guarantee you catch trout at applegate lake

K
keen_angler
Throbbit _Shane said:
If your ever in southern oregon i guarantee you catch trout at applegate lake

Thanks Throbbit _Shane..

Sure will plan an over night trip to Apple Gate Lake shortly..