Need Depoe Bay fishing advice

B
bernsnick
Hello people, I am from California and am going to be renting a vacatioin rental in Depoe Bay for a week and am very familiar with how to fish for rockfish lingcod and cabezon because I do it all the time in California on the coast here, but I need some suggestions to point me in the right direction of where are good spots in depoe bay on the rocks to fish or areas near depoe bay that I can get some lingers and rockfish and I will be buying an Oregon non resident sport fishing license so I'll be good to go. Also are there any tackle shops that i can find bait and weights and hooks if I need them I heard someone on the forum say there are a couple gas stations that have tackle? Thanks, Nick :)

B
Berg03
There is a bimart in Lincoln city just north of there that will have plenty of options for jigs to throw. Jigs can be very effective off the main cliff in the middle of depoe bay. Where everyone watches for whales. You will mostly catch sea bass (usually black) and maybe some lings. Read the regs for the correct length to keep the lings. You will lose a lot of gear though so buy plenty of jig heads and jigs to fish all day.
For me White color jig has worked best. Cast out let it hit bottom and jig it up pretty often not to let it sit and wedge between rocks.
Good Luck!

Reactions: Admin
B
bernsnick
Sounds like a plan I'll give it a try

G
Gulfstream
Walmart has great deals on Berkley swimbaits.Head and body for 2 bucks for a pack of 2.Good luck.You may want to try a hunk of squid or chovie below a bobber with a long leader as well

B
bernsnick
what are the spots around depoe bay to try out? Ive never been there

B
Berg03
I have only fished the cliffs right off hwy 101. You can fish along the long rock pier going out during low tide. Be careful using a bobber off that wall because in my experience its very easy to lose that entire setup every time the waves go down you get hung up.

C
CastingCall
pirate's cove, east of the gas station at the north-end of town. You will know when you are there if you see the sign that reads"Yokohama -> 8,000 miles" GL Tony

Reactions: backcountryhunter