Need basic info for this weekend

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm not looking for anyone's secrets but if you have some info about where to launch and what I should be targeting I'd appreciate it.

We are staying at Chinook RV parkThursday night and Friday night and planning on crabbing and hunting mushrooms on Friday and Saturday. I figured as long as I have the boat out there I'd head up to tidewater (or where ever else one suggests) and try fishing.

I've never fished the Alsea that low before and I'm looking for suggestions on where to launch and how you'd fish it. I've heard bobbers with eggs and spinners for Chinook but I'm just as happy catching and releasing coho too. How is the cutthroat fishing right now?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

troutdude
troutdude
Bag the notion of any cutties. This late in the game, they are upriver.

There should still be some Nooks in Tidewater, where bobber & egg rigs would be the ticket.

Good luck fishing, crabbin' and shroomin'. Man, you'd have a great meal with all of those on your plate!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm not counting on getting fish but we'll eat well just with shrooms and crab anyway. A nice salmon will be a great bonus. I'm just excited to see a new area and wet a line on a river I've never explored. Thanks for the tips!

troutdude said:
Bag the notion of any cutties. This late in the game, they are upriver.

There should still be some Nooks in Tidewater, where bobber & egg rigs would be the ticket.

Good luck fishing, crabbin' and shroomin'. Man, you'd have a great meal with all of those on your plate!

A
alseaalumaweld
go way up rive in your boat past koze cove im sure u will see the boats around the fish. or bank fist from the 12mile to 5rivers

jamisonace
jamisonace
Many thanks...I'll give it a try.

alseaalumaweld said:
go way up rive in your boat past koze cove im sure u will see the boats around the fish. or bank fist from the 12mile to 5rivers

A
alseaalumaweld
boober and eggs

C
Clark_b
Goodluck man! and enjoy!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
alseaalumaweld said:
boober and eggs

I sure hope you meant "bobber"....:think: goober...:lol::lol::lol:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Follow up on my Alsea trip...so far.

Tried fishing above tidewater as all the ramps in Tidewater are closed!!! Anyway we went upstream and drift eggs through some slots. I had two strong pulls two casts in a row in the exact same spot but nothing when I set the hook. Not sure what it was.

Crabbing was slow....4 in 3 hours.

Mushrooming was incredible. 5 pounds of chanterelles and 1 pound of Oysters within 100 yards of the road and in about 30 minutes.

Hopefully I'll have an update that includes landed fish tomorrow.

E
eugene1
Cool man, those shrooms are good eats and the crabs sound good too. If you're getting bites on your eggs you're doing alright. Watch out for sculpin that are bait stealers but not much you can do about that.

Don't be afraid to alter your crabbing tactics and move some pots to shallower or deeper water. sometimes prospecting the crabs pays off.

Good luck!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Boy are you right E1. Today we moved to a place that I thought looked good but no one was around and we pulled up pot after pot of huge crabs. Still a lot of females but the males were big and full. No fish today but I've got to share my mushroom/crab recipe for anyone that is interested. Melt half a cube of butter in a pan but don't let it bubble. Drop in a tsp of pesto. Once it is all mixed, saute' the mushrooms in that. Shell your crab while you letting the mushrooms saute' and when you have a nice amount of crab, dish some shrooms onto your plate and pour butter and squeeze lemon on it. We just finished it and it was good.

We also got some chicken of the woods yesterday so I put those in with the chanterelle and oyster shrooms tonight.

This is the first time I've spent time exploring the Waldport area besides the beach and town. I'm hooked on that area, we really had a blast. Only thing that could have made it better would have been to hook some of the salmon that were rolling all around us this morning.

eugene1 said:
Cool man, those shrooms are good eats and the crabs sound good too. If you're getting bites on your eggs you're doing alright. Watch out for sculpin that are bait stealers but not much you can do about that.

Don't be afraid to alter your crabbing tactics and move some pots to shallower or deeper water. sometimes prospecting the crabs pays off.

Good luck!

S
steelhead1
Was over there on saturday,yep the fishin is slow. Mushrooms are definitley happenin though!:D

• DSC03109(1).jpg
E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
Boy are you right E1. Today we moved to a place that I thought looked good but no one was around and we pulled up pot after pot of huge crabs. Still a lot of females but the males were big and full. No fish today but I've got to share my mushroom/crab recipe for anyone that is interested. Melt half a cube of butter in a pan but don't let it bubble. Drop in a tsp of pesto. Once it is all mixed, saute' the mushrooms in that. Shell your crab while you letting the mushrooms saute' and when you have a nice amount of crab, dish some shrooms onto your plate and pour butter and squeeze lemon on it. We just finished it and it was good.

We also got some chicken of the woods yesterday so I put those in with the chanterelle and oyster shrooms tonight.

This is the first time I've spent time exploring the Waldport area besides the beach and town. I'm hooked on that area, we really had a blast. Only thing that could have made it better would have been to hook some of the salmon that were rolling all around us this morning.

Good you got into them! Wish we had good luck at the Silt but that's the way it goes. We made a mushroom stop on the way back and did OK with that though. I'm hungry now after reading your recipe!

M
minnow
"VERY" dangerous

"VERY" dangerous

:protest:
jamisonace said:
I'm not looking for anyone's secrets but if you have some info about where to launch and what I should be targeting I'd appreciate it.

We are staying at Chinook RV parkThursday night and Friday night and planning on crabbing and hunting mushrooms on Friday and Saturday. I figured as long as I have the boat out there I'd head up to tidewater (or where ever else one suggests) and try fishing.

I've never fished the Alsea that low before and I'm looking for suggestions on where to launch and how you'd fish it. I've heard bobbers with eggs and spinners for Chinook but I'm just as happy catching and releasing coho too. How is the cutthroat fishing right now?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

M
minnow
Be careful using Kovy Koves boat ramp, especialy in the dark. There to damn cheap to put up a light for their customers. There's a law suit coming from a Guy busting up his leg about 3 Saturday mornings ago.

I know when I was there a few weeks back, part of the railing on the dock was coming apart when I went to grab it. I'm sorry that this info is true, but there are some on this web sight that can't "HANDLE THE TRUTH !!!"

A
alseaalumaweld
isn't kovy kove shut down from a law suit?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Here we go again...

minnow said:
Be careful using Kovy Koves boat ramp, especialy in the dark. There to damn cheap to put up a light for their customers. There's a law suit coming from a Guy busting up his leg about 3 Saturday mornings ago.

I know when I was there a few weeks back, part of the railing on the dock was coming apart when I went to grab it. I'm sorry that this info is true, but there are some on this web sight that can't "HANDLE THE TRUTH !!!"

B
bigsteel
minnow said:

this stuff is hilarious,,take some personal responsibility for yourself,if your scared of having no light then bring a light,its a boat launch,if you can't launch your boat safely then go somewhere else,its people like you who start these frivalous lawsuits blaming some guy who lets people launch on his property,well now look what you get,no more launching......heres a novel idea if your so worried about the lighting buy a flood light or two and give them to the guy who owns the property and ask if he would mind if they would be put up.

M
minnow
:lol::lol:
bigsteel said:
this stuff is hilarious,,take some personal responsibility for yourself,if your scared of having no light then bring a light,its a boat launch,if you can't launch your boat safely then go somewhere else,its people like you who start these frivalous lawsuits blaming some guy who lets people launch on his property,well now look what you get,no more launching......heres a novel idea if your so worried about the lighting buy a flood light or two and give them to the guy who owns the property and ask if he would mind if they would be put up.

M
minnow
Why would I spend money on lights ? If those cheep skates can't maintain their boat ramp with out the railing coming off in my hand. What makes you think they would spend the extra $$$ on burning lights on their ramp area.

I can't believe how one sided some of your thinking is ! What ever happened to, "two sides to every story !" I'm not worried myself about using the place. But Taylors isn't to far down river either. I just hope it's not your kid, Wife, etc who get's hurt there next. Are you going to keep your mouth shut, and eat all the medical bills,lost wages that might come from and accident there, or would you look for recourse if it's Kozie Koves fault. Damn right, you would be seeking a settlement !

You all act like Kozie Kove is the best place ever to put in and fish. It's to bad that your thin bank rolls tell me this all you can afford. In ending, Kozie Kove isn't code for vaginia ! But with all these shots fired across my bow, you would think I'm talking about your women.