Need a mechanic

C
Charlie_merrifi
So my boat i have 1979 15hp evinrude on it. Grandpa didn't take great care of it the last few years of his life. It needs some work. I am short on funds and loking for some help. I have no idea how to work on thesr. I havent tried to start it but the pull rope doednt feel right. Tbe idle knob isn't right either. Can anyone help or suggest anyone in sslem ir corvallus that can

T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry if i lived close i would try to help a bit with my limited backyard mechanic experiance. hope it works out. when we gonna see the new toy?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Soon. Maybe can get some pictures tonight. It definatley needs some work

H
Hawk
Charlie_merrifi said:
So my boat i have 1979 15hp evinrude on it. Grandpa didn't take great care of it the last few years of his life. It needs some work. I am short on funds and loking for some help. I have no idea how to work on thesr. I havent tried to start it but the pull rope doednt feel right. Tbe idle knob isn't right either. Can anyone help or suggest anyone in sslem ir corvallus that can

Pull out the spark plug.
Pull the starter cord to see how it acts.
Sometimes could be spring tension, worn cord, or worn gear tooth mesh.
Gap & put in new proper spark plug.
Use fresh fuel with proper mixture of 2cycle oil, for 2cycle motor. I put in some marine Sta-bil too.
If she doesn't idle properly, spray carb cleaner in every carb orifice you can find, while running.
Many times a problem has a simple solution.

Best of Luck with your motor Bro.:)

C
Charlie_merrifi
Will do. The idle knob isn't attached inside

H
Hawk
Charlie_merrifi said:
Will do. The idle knob isn't attached inside

Look for a motor serial number, any other number that's on motor. Go to a repair shop, see if they can pull up a schematic of your motor & part that's missing.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I know a guy that lives in Jefferson who's brother is a marine mechanic but also does weekend mechanic work at home for a lot less money. He lives somewhere in that general area. I probably won't be able to get a hold of him til Monday though.

C
capblack
Charlie, if your short on cash, stay away from the boat shops, im sure theres some that are good and fair in price, but see if you can figure it out, by researching it online and working out the bugs. It wouldnt take long to surpass the motors value if you let a marine mechanic work on it in a boat shop. It needs spark, and fuel delivery, theyre pretty simple. you can figure on a good carb cleaning and a new spark plug. the rest will come together. ask questions as you go, Im sure youll get the right answers. good luck, Brian

M
mudslinging79
i have an 18 horse evenrude ive tinkered with, can possably help you with yours...

C
Charlie_merrifi
Well i got it to start and run today. Smokes a lot. Will need new plugs. The idle knob doesn't move anything but can use the lean rich nob ok. Definatley will need new plugs. And the pull cord dosent catch every pull.

M
mudslinging79
what year is it, and can you post pics of it?

C
Charlie_merrifi
It is a 79 evinrude 15hp short shaft. I will post pics tomorrow

S
stream2.5
lets not forget.. there is a mechanic on the board that is multi brand certified and is fairly cheap for a professional shop... so when it gets beyond DIY repairs dont be afraid to ask..

C
Charlie_merrifi
I will contact you if i need.