Necanicum?

M
Modest_Man
Headed to Seaside for the weekend. Looks like the Necanicum is closed to steelhead and salmon now, but should be open for trout fishing under the general regs. Anyone have any tips? Never fished that river. Planning on taking my 4wt to kill some time.

Necanicum River (Clatsop Co.) downstream of Hwy 53 bridge at Necanicum Jct., including Neawanna Creek tidewater downstream of 12th Avenue bridge
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31 and Sept. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for Chinook salmon Sept. 1-Dec. 31.

N
n8r1
There are tons of resident cutts in there, all in the 5 - 12 inch range. It's probably a little early for searuns but there might be a couple there as well. I like fishing the upper river around Klootchy Creek County Park, which is less than a 10 minute drive from downtown Seaside. There's great fly water upriver and downriver from the one lane bridge. I'll be fishing that river Saturday morning, maybe I'll see you out there.

These 2 patterns have killed it on that river for me. The one on top is called a Muddler Minnow (I think) and I don't know what the one on the bottom is called but Don at River City Fly ties them and should have a few on hand if you have a chance to make it over there.

M
Modest_Man
Thanks a ton. Reading my fishing on Oregon book that was the area I was going to target. I drive a white Subaru Wagon, and I wear white board shorts and the goofy 5 finger shoes for summer wading. Holler if you see me. ;)

N
n8r1
Will do. I'll have tan chest waders and a green Ducks hat.

D
DB Crouper
:)There might be some sea run cutthroat in the lower river around the golf course up through Peterson's point, which is a series of sharp curves about 2 miles south of Seaside. The river is below and west of the highway there, with some great water. Native cuts, planted rainbows and maybe a few sea run. We use to kill them with home made bumblebee imitations, but that was in the 1960s. Royal Coachman and Spruce flies banged the native cuts , but so did spinner and worms. Hope you post pictures. Good luck.:) Here's a 13" searun from 1958, caught across from the Relief Picture Tavern between the Golf Course and Peterson's Point.

• first fish_0002.jpg
M
Modest_Man
I'm supposed to go golfing one morning...think they'll notice if I slip my fly rod in my golf bag? ;)

D
DB Crouper
Modest_Man said:
I'm supposed to go golfing one morning...think they'll notice if I slip my fly rod in my golf bag? ;)

They won't care. Don't play the 8th hole. Fish it.

troutdude
troutdude
Just leave the clubs at home, and take your "rod caddy"! Good luck.