Necanicum

K

KJLarson13

We're heading out the Necancium for my first steelhead trip in about 15 minutes. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm predicting that my fly and bobber set up (Don't have the cash for a fly rod just yet) is going to slay at least one. If so some reason it does not, the old jig under a bobber will have to work.

Unfortunatly, base off what I have read over the past weeks, drift fishing will not be my style of choice as I would be pissed every time I lost gear on the bottom of the river...Eh, what can ya do right?

K

KJLarson13

'Twas a very good learning experience for my first time out. Played around with a spinning rod with bobber jig and bobber fly set up. Didn't get any bites. Played around with a buddies Fly Rod and it has taken to me really well. Don't know why but it feels more natural. Today was a skunk, river was decent level, but very clear. Going to get myself a fly set up this week and probaby try out the North Fork of the Nehalem, somewhere down the Sandy, or if I'm not feeling over energetic I'll just head down to Gales Creek and see what I can muster up.

F

FishFinger

Sounds like someone got bit, by the "Bug". Congrats and welcome to the best days of your life.

I just heard recently the Nec wasn't hot at the moment (reports near the golf coarse).

Glad to hear you had a great outing.

B

beaverfan

Glad you had a good time out there! Make sure you check your regs before you head out because Gales Creek is closed till May 28.

Last edited:
K

KJLarson13

Good call, forgot all about things still being closed. This is how you know that I usually only fish around the time that Hagg Lake is open and it's not murderous to walk out in any body of water with just a swim suit on.

B

beaverfan

You could always drive the extra 20 miles and fish the upper Wilson, it's closed for trout but open for Steelhead! Great bank access!

K

KJLarson13

My old man has been drift fishing there a lot recently. I personally have never been but it seems that it has been kind of slow. We were considering heading out to Oxbow Park on Saturday to fish along the Sandy. Don't know for sure yet as the weather is calling for some interesting stuff tomorrow night.

L

Lamzy

I was down on the Wilson yesterday mp12 swinging a fly. Didn't catch anything.
Two gents with spinning rigs came through and they had no luck either.
Water was in good shape, clear and swift.
I go to Hagis lake quit often to fish off the bank for trout.
Bob in a fishing Kilt

K

KJLarson13

I do so much trout fishing during the spring and summer months I feel like it would be wrong not to be trying for some chromers. Got my self a fly set up yesterday so I can't wait for Saturday to roll around. I'm gonna catch myself a 15-20 lbs fish.

B

bigsteel

I do so much trout fishing during the spring and summer months I feel like it would be wrong not to be trying for some chromers. Got my self a fly set up yesterday so I can't wait for Saturday to roll around. I'm gonna catch myself a 15-20 lbs fish.
what rod did you get

H

halibuthitman

I like your attitude.. go get em!

K

KJLarson13

I got a 9ft 7,8# Okuma Crisium rod. CRF-78-90-2 for those of you who know what the hell that means. (I sure don't). Then I picked up a Okuma SLV78 reel. Decided to cash in a credit I had with BI-Mart hehe. Sounds like we're heading up to Oxbow on Saturday. Time to do research for insect life and fishing holes =D

B

bigsteel

I got a 9ft 7,8# Okuma Crisium rod. CRF-78-90-2 for those of you who know what the hell that means. (I sure don't). Then I picked up a Okuma SLV78 reel. Decided to cash in a credit I had with BI-Mart hehe. Sounds like we're heading up to Oxbow on Saturday. Time to do research for insect life and fishing holes =D

excellent,you will enjoy your fly fishing adventures for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunga

Gunga

i can't wait to get my first fly fishing set up. m=ive tried my uncles a little bit. and it felt awesome. any suggestions as to what kind of rod and reel to get. i might get an okuma. i already have there trout/bass pole and salmon steel head pole. best fishing poles ive ever had.

R

ReleaseYourFuture

atta boy!!! AIM BIG!!! :) Good luck on the fly set up... its an added degree of difficulty :)

K

KJLarson13

Can't wait to let it run. Was practing the casts today to make sure everything was copastetic (sp?) so Saturday should net me at least one chromer. Time to go tie some flies, any recommendations on selection for fishing the Sandy at Oxbow?

O

OnTheDrop

Can't wait to let it run. Was practing the casts today to make sure everything was copastetic (sp?) so Saturday should net me at least one chromer. Time to go tie some flies, any recommendations on selection for fishing the Sandy at Oxbow?[/QUOT

Hope you like fishing in high muddy water : )

H

halibuthitman

Can't wait to let it run. Was practing the casts today to make sure everything was copastetic (sp?) so Saturday should net me at least one chromer. Time to go tie some flies, any recommendations on selection for fishing the Sandy at Oxbow?
my advice... wait another 3 weeks to go to the sandy... fish the nestucca.. kilchis.. or necanicum, but wait for the clack or sandy.. just my opinion... and Im dying to see that photo of the first chrome on saturday.. so good luck!!

K

KJLarson13

Hey now, don't be saying that. Gotta be optimistic here. Struck out Necanicum, heard the Wilson's been quiet and when the old man is the "guide" gotta go to the places he somewhat knows =P

Top Bottom