Necanicum Questions

C
Cohosanders
Hey ALL:think: Where should I target while fishing the Necanicum???:think: I have never fished there and need to be sent OFF in the right direction.:cool:Thanks;)

G
Green_Tackle
I was there for the first time last weekend. I only fished for about 2 hours. It was low and clear when I was there. No bites, no sightings. But...

I parked at Klootchy Creek park and started right there under the bridge. Just east of the bridge is a nice little deep hole. I was fishing it with jig and bobber. Continuing up the river (there is a trail on the north bank), I found a few other holes that looked good to me. There were plenty of floats and corkies tangled in the trees above these holes so I'm assuming I'm not the only one thinking they looked good. I was throwing spinners in most of the holes and floating a jig in a couple of the deeper ones. Nice little river. My understanding is that you would be expecting to find catch and release natives this time of year.

The guy I talked to said there are good holes in either direction from Klootchy. He was also carrying a float rod and a spinner rod. I only explored it upstream and not very far so that's about the best I can tell you.

C
Cohosanders
Thanks . I am surprised I only got 1 reply. I might just hit the Wilson, but I will try it sooner or later

G
Green_Tackle
I know, I don't think a lot of people here on OFF fish the Necanicum. I asked a similar question before going to the Necanicum last weekend with no response... but the Wilson... you'll find a ton of information on that river on this site. The Wilson is my "go-to" river and I learned most of what I needed to know about that river from this site.

F
fisch
You can also try lower river. Not sure exactly where to go but I know that the run over there is almost over. Few weeks and the water is too low to hold any good fish over there. I'd heard...

C
Cohosanders
Thanks Green tackle!!! I have caught 3 Nates this year so far on The Wilson, but I would really like to bring some dinner home!!!! Thanks to you too Fisch!!!! I think I will hit the lower Wilson since I have been fishing the upper holes and maybe I will get an early run summer.See y'all around.

G
Green_Tackle
Well, if you see a guy with a Green Tackle hat and a black lab wearing a red handkerchief out on the Wilson, say hello.

N
n8r1
My wife and I hiked along the Necanicum last weekend near Klootchy. It is a pretty quiet, peaceful river. Unfortunately there were a bunch of beer cans and soda cans laying around from slobs that were there before us. We walked in 30 minutes and back out the same way and came out with a full bag of trash that were mostly cans and bottles.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the Necanicum closed from 4/1 until 9/1? I think that it heats up for the Fall run though. A local told me that the 12th street bridge turns into a combat zone once they start moving.

C
Cohosanders
:clap:Good job on cleaning up:clap: I did not make it there(killed it on the clack instead). I always seem to find at least 1 beer can no matter how remote the spot. At least we can get $.05 each for them:lol: Necanicum will have to wait until Sept.!!!! By that time we'll be fishing for fall nooks:shock: