Native Coho retention

P
plumb2fish
There is officially going to be a native coho fishery on the Siuslaw this year....The details have not yet been announced.....as if this river doesn't already get too much pressure...way to go ODFW

brandon4455
brandon4455
that makes me angry face!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

R
RunWithSasquatch
R
RunWithSasquatch
plumb2fish said:
There is officially going to be a native coho fishery on the Siuslaw this year....The details have not yet been announced.....as if this river doesn't already get too much pressure...way to go ODFW

Secret is out! Wait... was there a secret?:think:

I bet fishing pressure doesn't really bump that much over 1 fish a day, 1 fish a year limits of coho. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
eh.. they are just gunna run the good coho population out of town. id still wait atleast a few more years before doing that.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm for it. They should close the retention of chinook, but guides and politics will never allow that... There are way, way more hos than chinook. The alsea is the same. How they can say they're endangered when you can easily catch 20 of them a day, is beyond me. As far as pressure goes, I don't think it will increase much. So many other rivers have opened up to coho retention, with little to no problem. It just gives people a better opportunity.

J
JeannaJigs
brandon4455 said:
eh.. they are just gunna run the good coho population out of town. id still wait atleast a few more years before doing that.

The coho population has been booming for a long time. It's increased annually. They probably could've safely opened it up to retention on the siuslaw five years ago, if not more. They studied the crap out of tahkenitch and siltcoos for 8 years before deciding that the rivers too could also support healthy runs with a quota of fish to be caught by anglers. Keep in mind there WILL be a quota as there has been on other rivers and once that quota has been met it will very publicly be shut down. They're not gonna just let loose and say "let's kill all the hos!". They have done extensive escapement studies on the siuslaw and it's tributaries.

B
Bad Tuna
The chinook populations on the Alsea and Siuslaw are in far better shape than the coho. This is about maximum opportunity. I think the coho populations should rebound more, less than 2 decades ago they were listed as threatened. There is likely going to be a season on the Nestucca, and possibly the Wilson and Trask. I think it is too soon, so I'll do my part and not retain any wild coho. It's up to anglers to protect a resource when odfw wants to gamble. My .02

M
markasd
Hardly think it'll kill off the ho's.. ODFW wouldn't let it go that far, they like to err on the way-safe side. Lets give it a few seasons and see what develops ehh? Fresh water coho wont draw many more anglers than just the locals.. Hardly think this will have folks chasing this fishery.
I'm with Jeanna - some of these fisheries do need to regulate the chinooks a bit better, granted they are a hardier fish - they need some help on some of the coastals..

my .02

M
Mad dog
Bad Tuna said:
The chinook populations on the Alsea and Siuslaw are in far better shape than the coho. This is about maximum opportunity. I think the coho populations should rebound more, less than 2 decades ago they were listed as threatened. There is likely going to be a season on the Nestucca, and possibly the Wilson and Trask. I think it is too soon, so I'll do my part and not retain any wild coho. It's up to anglers to protect a resource when odfw wants to gamble. My .02

Probably only be a 500 fish quota, possibly up to 1,500 fish, there will be plenty of spawning escapement! The Coquille has had a season for several years and the tributaries are still full of spawners, same for the Coos! The quota will be filled before the peak of the run even enters the river!

M
markasd
[/QUOTE]Probably only be a 500 fish quota, possibly up to 1,500 fish
Like I said, they like to err on the WAY-safe side. lol!

N
n8r1
On my favorite coastal river you catch (and release) 10 native coho for every chinook you bank. Yet you can keep the chinooks (even nates) but have to release the cohos...never really understood that. I enjoy catching fish more than eating them so the C&R never bothers me but I just thought it was an odd situation. If native coho retention is being allowed on more rivers, even in limited quotas, that's a great sign that the runs are recovering well.

C
crusty old fisherman
JeannaJigs said:
The coho population has been booming for a long time. It's increased annually. They probably could've safely opened it up to retention on the siuslaw five years ago, .

well they may be increasing annualy but I can assure you it is no where near the number of fish we had from 97 through 2005 before they opened the ocean up to hatchery card use.

I seen days in the lower river where you might as well pack it up and go home because you couldnt fish chinook just because the shear number of coho's in the holes.

I have said it for years and will always believe that the ocean should be a 20 fish limit and get the ehck off the water the mortality of ocean caught wild coho is far to high, if they are going to allow mortality it should be allowed on a river by river basis where they can controll what rivers get a high mortality and what rivers need extra protection...in the ocean it is impossible for them to control where the wild mortality hits the hardest.

that being said most the people on the slaw dont catch many fish if any in a season so allowing them to retain one coho which is most likely going to die when it is released isn't such a bad deal.

every year i see tons of cohos improperly handled and sink straight to the bottom, but I dont think the siuslaw will get any more pressure because of it being open for them its already got more boats then there is water so it can't get any worse lol

C
crusty old fisherman
unfortunately odds are that out of those 10 nate coho you catch and release 50% of them are going to die. coho just arent a hearty fish they expend all their energy in a 5 minute fight which leaves them susceptable to lactic acid increases and death. in all the years I have been fishing I have never once caught a coho with a hook tear in its mouth or a spinner hanging from its mouth and that leads me to believe they dont survive catch and release.

T
Thuggin4Life
Since i dont bank fish the slaw this is good news. I can catch the coho pretty good trolling tidewater but have a harding time getting nooks. Now a nook trip can end with a coho in the cooler. sweet. sucks for the guys on the bank though. Agreed the nooks are rare and the hos are comon. 2 boats, 30+ coho in the boat with many takedowns and broken leaders in one day with no nooks. my boat went through 3 flats of herring alone.

C
crusty old fisherman
coho are easy to catch from the bank you jsut flip spinners and drag them so slow the blade is barely turning , but you have to fish the right kind of water either where they are pooled or where they are moving when they are moving.

I have had 30 fish days from the bank on the slaw back in the early 90s before they closed the river fishery down.

some day we will have to hook up and go fishing since I live in youra area.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah might have opne seat come this fall for tidewater trolling.

C
Chedster
Siuslaw, Alsea and Siletz should all be open to coho retention this fall. I heard they may even raise the limit on the Siletz to 10 per year

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hmm, last year on the Siletz, the catch was low enough they never filled there quota, 500 fish.

S
Steelheader4Life
All I know is there is plenty of Coho in almost every coastal system. Last year I must have landed and released nearly 50 Ho's to the 5 Nook's I was able to keep. So I'm down for the retention of native Ho's. I hope it ends up being for more than 1 for the whole season.