Nasty wrecks on Alsea pass

R
RunWithSasquatch
Went into town this morning at 8:15, (town being Corvallis from Alsea.) Started out in 2 wheel drive and quickly notice that the RPMS were not corresponding with the speed I was traveling. Put it 4wd, and motored up and over to the Philomath side. Once I got to the 'Y' in Philomath seen the emergency vehicles heading out towards Alsea. Took care of my errands, and headed back home, and was to the pass at 9:30. A roll over wreck directly on top of the pass, cab was completely crushed flat, with a lot of activity still around it. Continue down the Alsea side of the pass to the long downhill straight stretch, and was shocked to see another set of emergency vehicles on the uphill side. Slow down, and this one appeared to be worse, a truck made it over the guard rail, and into the canyon, and was propped up in the trees, standing on end.

Just a sobering reminder to stay on your toes through that area, so you make sure you can fish another day. Most mornings have patches of ice through that area! I see these wrecks several times a winter.

T
TTFishon
Yep, people need to learn to slow down or not drive when the roads are icy. You wouldn't believe all of the idiots I see flying by me on I-5 while I'm spraying de-icer. Get a clue people!!!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Back in the mid 70's, my dad was driving the fam to my grandparents house in Waldport. Long story short, we slid clear across all four lanes right there, and almost wound up going through that very guard rail. I was soooooo glad that the rail stopped us; cuz I was looking down at least a couple of hundred feet straight into a ravine!

I hope those peeps are all okay.

J
JeannaJigs
Man that road scares me! when I was still driving my ghetto kia without 4x4 and hauling my boat last year, I hit a curve near missouri bend that had black ice....It was bad. Trailer fish-tailed and i lost all control. Somehow I stayed on the road, and thank god there was no oncoming traffice. Since then, I've been additionally vigilant driving that road. Those hair pin curves before the straight climb are evil too, but I expect those to always been slick and take it slow. The last time I drove it with snow, the truck behind me tried to pass me on that windy stretch because I was going "too slow", and flipped me off when he passed me on a blind curve. Some people.... I'm sorry i'm not going to take those turns going 30 with 4 inches of fresh snow on the road towing a boat trailer.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just drove back from Waldport. We left about 11am. I thought about taking hwy 34 but went 20 via Newport instead. Glad I did. I remember hwy 34 and how much fun it was in the snow around Thanksgiving. Be nice when hwy 20 is completly finished. Yeah Jenna some of those driver get a little crazy!