N.Fork Santiam

S
Satchel
Hi, trying to get my son his first steelhead this weekend. fishing on the santiam near Lyons/Mehama.
can anyone tell me of a good spot? also, if using a fly rod what fly should i use ? thank you !!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
With the water levels as low as they are, wading out or even across the river is possible nearly all along the river. You should check out N. Santiam park on hwy 22, not far from Mehama, or John Neal park in Lyons. Basically anywhere along the river that has access is a candidate.

S
Satchel
Raincatcher said:
With the water levels as low as they are, wading out or even across the river is possible nearly all along the river. You should check out N. Santiam park on hwy 22, not far from Mehama, or John Neal park in Lyons. Basically anywhere along the river that has access is a candidate.

thank you ! fished at John Neal many times for panfish, so is it near the campground there where we can find potential steelies ?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Yeah, drive all the way down the street, then just walk straight through the gates and keep going until you get to the river. There is a lot of access down there. You can also try from the bridge, but I always worry about having to haul it up and over the bridge without it coming unbuttoned. Good luck and please come back and share your pics and success story. :thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
You may also find some late summer runs, in the pool directly below Big Cliff Dam. Went there a few years ago--as part of a Fish OFF--and watched Fish n Chips, haul in a really nice one. It was in early summer; but there may be some stragglers. He was using a bobber, and jig as I recall.

S
Satchel
troutdude said:
You may also find some late summer runs, in the pool directly below Big Cliff Dam. Went there a few years ago--as part of a Fish OFF--and watched Fish n Chips, haul in a really nice one. It was in early summer; but there may be some stragglers. He was using a bobber, and jig as I recall.

Thank you !

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
If you're willing to go up to Big Cliff, stop at Packsaddle on the way. Take the trail past the restroom, there are usually some amazing fish there.

bass
bass
troutdude said:

That area is closed to fishing now.

Santiam River (Marion Co.) ( continued ):
From the markers at Packsaddle Park to Big Cliff Dam • Closed

troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out Bass. It appears to be closed, to any and all fishing in that stretch. Thank you!

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Good lookin' out Bass. It appears to be closed, to any and all fishing in that stretch. Thank you!

The only reason I happened to know that is because my chiropractor and his son loved fishing that area and he was really bummed when they closed it. Funny how the world works.