Mystery Carp

D
dmarc85
During a field trip, one of my kids pulled this dead carp-lookin-thing out of the Willamette. I can't ID it tho. Anyone know what kind of fish this is???

Carp.jpg

A
Anyfishisfine
I caught one of those a while back in the Willamette. Folks here identified it as a Large Scale Sucker.

1bigfish
Sucker fish. Very common in the Willy.

D
dmarc85
That's it! Thanks :)

D
dmarc85
Anyfishisfine said:
I caught one of those a while back in the Willamette. Folks here identified it as a Large Scale Sucker.

I caught one with a piece of chicken one time. What did you use??

R
rainman
That's a Hoover.

F
Fishtopher
I say Dust Devil.

T
Troutier Bassier
Sucker Fish, The Larger ones fight Really Good.

M
Mad dog
Old Bugle Lips!!! I can tell you how many of those I caught this last winter drift fishing for steelhead on the South Umpqua! :D Caught quite a few on a single red corkie to boot! We also get quite a few of them side drifting straight yarn! They must be somewhat of a sight feeder in the right kind of water.

T
Troutier Bassier
I caught one Drifting a Kastmaster on the bottom.

T
Troutier Bassier
And why is this Thread tagged with George?

D
dmarc85
Troutier Bassier said:
And why is this Thread tagged with George?

I found it in george rogers park in lake oswego. btw, I think that they are big time sight feeders, they went crazy when I threw little pieces of white chicken on the rocks. I think that contrast is big with your bait.

I wonder what people are using to get these drift fishing. What color yarn??

T
Troutier Bassier
Ohh, Makes sense,
They will hit ANYTHING, Drifting with Egggs in Streams would rpobally kill them.

F
Fishtopher
We have a hard time keeping them OFF the hooks when drowning sand shrimp on the lower sandy when fishing winters.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah. I heard at salish thatt all you catch at sandy Is Sucker fish,

M
mgdguy
We've caught 'em in the Clack too...

F
FernRidgeChamp
I was told they were introduced and bad because they are eating all of the eggs laid in the rivers. What do you guys say about this? I dunno much, just repeating what I was told. Friend made a big pile of them on the bank. I was too busy catching trout.

FRC

T
Troutier Bassier
Yep. my dad catches them at Herman Creek all the time.

C
chris61182
FernRidgeChamp said:
I was told they were introduced and bad because they are eating all of the eggs laid in the rivers. What do you guys say about this? I dunno much, just repeating what I was told. Friend made a big pile of them on the bank. I was too busy catching trout.

FRC

The suckers are native, while it's the carp that are introduced.

F
FishSchooler
The suckers dont eat eggs. The pikeminnows eat the eggs... but they will both eat anything!
Suckers are migratory like steelhead and salmon. They run strong in the tualatin (Im sure almost everywhere else as well) in May.