My visit to Coldwater Lake, WA

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Ok, I paid Coldwater lake a short visit this week when I was up in WA. This lake is near Mt Saint Helens. It was a very intresting lake.. as it is only 30 years old now ! It was formed after the Mt Saint Helens blast in 1980. Its a new lake. Here are some pics I took:

24fie7b.jpg

There were 2 guys fishing on a pontoon boat

xppuu0.jpg

I took this pic off a dock/patio that was built as part of the viewing only area of the lake. You can see the mountain in the background.

Off that dock I saw a large trout.. looked to be in the 20" range, it was swimming under the deck. It looked to be a brown trout from the large spots I saw on it. I didn't get a pic of it as it swam under the deck. Well, I did bring my poles and gear incase I was able to fish the lake ! I was not able to.. I was not prepared enough. There is a very nice boat dock there and a fish cleaning station. It was a very nice area. There were very strict rules there about angling, that kept me from fishing it. I remember some of them: Fishing off dock prohibited, live bait prohibited, 1 fish daily limit, 16" minimum size, WA fishing lic req, Fishing off the dock/paitio/boat launch prohibited. Also additional rules were there that you could only walk/hike on the built paved or gravel path around the lake, and now allowed off the path. So this made bank fishing hard. No swimming. No gas motors allowed in the lake. So you pretty much need a boat for this lake. Theres a $8.00 individual adult pass required to use the area that can be bought at the Johnston ridge observatory.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a very beautiful lake

M
mgman6000
We went by there on the way back from Mt St Helens and it looks good

R
Reed
I've only fished the lake once, my dad and I dragged a few flies up there but didn't catch any thing big enough to take home. That was the year the lake openned to the public, if your thinking of going up to the lake, please check the regs, I haven't looked yet but I think it's NO bait? It's a beautiful lake to personel float boat, row boat or even an electric motor, it does get windy at time up there.

S
Sinkline

Last edited: