My son and I, back-to-back limits...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I am so fortunate to have a great family, including 2 sons that I love very much and share lots of outdoor activities with...both are in Grad. school now at Pac12 schools which also makes me very proud...

...it wasn't clear what was happening at the time but Friday ended up being one of those moments in time that makes being a dad so great...it started as mostly a crabbing trip to use bait we had thawed but after my limit yesterday, also more fishing to try and hook my son Paul, who turns 26 next week, his first big fish ever. He had caught some trout as a kid on hiking trips and such but nothing big.

so 15 min in, we hook a fish, I grab the rod and get things set, nice fish, definitely not a Jack or a monster chinook so perfect for him to take over but then the fish runs to the boat so I keep tension and when I can finally hand off the pole to Paul, the fish is already near the boat, it stays close, rests, and quick as that, first try, I net him a shiny 34" hen and he tags his first Chinook without any real action...well that was fun.

the second hook-up, maybe 45 min later, is totally different, I make him take the rod right out of the holder and suddenly he is fighting a seriously pissed off 36" buck, and the next few minutes become one of those magic moments in life that is still sinking in. the video starts a few minutes into the fight, just as he gets it over to the boat for the first time, this image is 3 sec. into the video and just the start of things....in the end, father and son get back-to-back limits and sharing moments in time...

I have been working so hard and fully expected that catching my first king alone from my kayak would be the highpoint of this year; not anymore. I think after watching the video that you will understand..what a freakin great day! cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eugene1
Freaking awesome Roger!

I rarely watch videos, but yours was pretty sweet, good teamwork, coaching, and sweet memories! I prefer getting family and friends into fish rather than whacking and stacking solo too. So great to share the even just a little bit of the rush I'm always looking for...

Now you need to use some zen patience on the net and wait..wait..wait..go for it. But you guys got it done anyway. LOL.

Congrats to you and your son!

Admin
Admin
nice

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Anatoliy said:

thanks Anatoliy; for the comment and forum and help with our posts...;)

Chromatose
Chromatose
Way Cool.........................Nothing but great memories now.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nothing like watching your kids enjoy something you're passionate about.

B
brewer
Thanks for sharing. Really inspiring for us raising little kids to get them outdoors with us.

F
fishtales
What a day on the water! Thanks for sharing.

I
Igor
Roger,

If that is how your crabbing trips turn out I am anxious to see how a fishing trip turns our :)

Les

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Igor said:
Roger,

If that is how your crabbing trips turn out I am anxious to see how a fishing trip turns out :)

Les

LOL, yeah right, we ride that damn skunk back to the launch plenty but we have come up the learning curve fast and just like everyone, we live for the outings when it all comes together..

..that fish on the video is the first big acrobatic king that we have hooked into, it ended up being 35" and 25#, and it jumped high in close and far away several times and ran under the motors just for fun. It probably was ready for more if my son had not turned it right towards me for a smooth netting, notice my hand in this still has just released the excess net is yet to grab on as I push that hoop right under his nose with my left arm, damn that felt good. :D

C_Run
C_Run
I think I'm going to have to send my son on a sabbatical to Florence.

Y
Yogidabear
very nice fish I love watching that, A little tip I have learned in the past was to always net them head first. I was on the edge of my seat watching it swim out of the net.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
very nice fish I love watching that, A little tip I have learned in the past was to always net them head first. I was on the edge of my seat watching it swim out of the net.

exactly, great tip, I didn't release the net earlier as it kept turning away, then the last one when it was coming head in I plunged under and it tried to turn but my son held tension and kept it from turning away, he pulled it's head up instead and it all over but the bleeding and bonking...

P
plumb2fish
Nice, I will have to watch the vid when I'm at home. Hope to see ya out there getting into more tomorrow. I will have the better half and our son out in the drifter hoping to get them into a fish as well.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great teamwork, great fun and great memories! Hopefully he will pass it on to the next generation and keep it going. I love watching the expressions! Thanks for sharing! :D

Markk
Markk
nice video and even a nicer fish...

A
alm21
Savory

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Great job:clap:Beautiful fish,some I hope to get the same