My setup for plunking @Meldrum.

F
Fishpdx
I ordered a diawa millionaire round reel to go with my shimano cennan med heavy 2-8 oz 10'6 . Reel is rated for 15lb /260 yd , it was on sale for $30 so why not. Probably not the best reel but it will do. I know people say dont get braid because your neighbors will hate you, but i'm still thinking of getting braid. Especially for plunking. So I should be plunking at meldrum now since I have a setup. Watch out guys there's a new guy in town!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Good luck Carp! Plunking is something I've need done. I've got a Millionaire reel which I bought for the same reason, price. It's worked just fine.

P
pinstriper
Uh, why would someone hate you because you were in the same area fishing braided line ?

D
DrTheopolis
pinstriper said:
Uh, why would someone hate you because you were in the same area fishing braided line ?

The thinking is that if it gets tangled up (like say, by a fish running with it), the braid tends to cut through mono leaders/line.

And if there's a place you don't want to anger your neighbors, Meldrum is on the list. It can be a pretty rough crowd.

F
Fishpdx
pinstriper said:
Yes people dont want my line to get on theirs because if it does it will cut theirs right off. But a simple way to prevent that would be when I get hooked on everyone around me could lower their rods to the ground and my line wont tangle theirs. Some people get mad and unhappy especially if you hook into a fish before them. Thats why I tend to stay away from crowds when fishing braid. Even if I have mono at meldrum I walk away from crowds not everyone likes when there's someone near them.

B
Big3d
People could also get braid if they are worried, I'm gonna say people make their choices and if their line gets cut, they should have had better, strong, "super" line. Anyone gets in my face about it better have a gun because I have at least a machete and won't be threatened. If you fish a meathole you will have neighbors, I personally would put braid ON in anticipation so nobody could cut my line.

T
Toyracer38
The beach I plunk gets really crowded. When the fishing is hot, you will have like 10 feet between rods. We just use common courtesy out there. If the guy next to us hooks up, we immediately reel in our gear, to get it out of the way. Even will help the guy land the fish or help distract the sealions. Once it's landed, we cast back out.

D
DrTheopolis
Many many years ago, I plunked with friends on a Lower Columbia beach -- which was a much, much more civilized crowd than Meldrum. Don't know if things have changed, but that was the relaxed fishery it's supposed to be.

Whereas the guys at Meldrum throw rocks at boats if they get too close to shore.

P
pinstriper
Toyracer38 said:
The beach I plunk gets really crowded. When the fishing is hot, you will have like 10 feet between rods. We just use common courtesy out there. If the guy next to us hooks up, we immediately reel in our gear, to get it out of the way. Even will help the guy land the fish or help distract the sealions. Once it's landed, we cast back out.

That is what I have seen, people are happy to see someone get a fish. No experience at Meldrum, except one afternoon on the way back from the airport. Just 3 of us there and spread out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk