My review of the Curtis Creek Manifesto fly fishing book

S
spmpdr
This book was recommended by irishrover here on the forum. It is the perfect book for beginnner fly fisherman!!!!! Its not packed with the scientific mumbo jumbo that your brain can handle for about 3 seconds , It is based on the common sense of fly fishing and focuses on the basics of fishing very well. Its is a short book , with very humorous yet educational sketches. I would definitely say this is a must have even for the experienced fly guys!!!! I got it for 8.95 at barnes and noble and have already read it twice!!!!! Thanks again IrishRover!!!

B
bigsteel
that is a great book,,im glad u liked it.its a straight forward no nonsence look at fly fishing...learning hatches are fun but at times is not even important.

H
halibuthitman
pretty cool, way to take advantage of the information on this site, what part of the book did you get the most out of?

E
eggs
Yea he made me read it the fisrt day I met him and he showed me the way of casting... sent me home with homework, to read that book!....

S
spmpdr
halibuthitman said:
pretty cool, way to take advantage of the information on this site, what part of the book did you get the most out of?

I would probable say the eleven commandments of fly fishing, because they are all common sense rules that you have to live by to become a good angler. Also the casting and line control techniques are so much easier to understand illustrated in a comic strip!!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Spmpdr....your are welcome. I keep a copy of that book on my fly tying bench. I pull it out once every now and then. I can't believe how much information Sheridain Anderson packed into that book and even more, how he makes it so understandable. Glad you picked a copy up.:)

Eggs...you did your homework well! I can still picture you at Trillium with the "Budlite special"!

C
ChezJfrey
Thanks for this post. I'm looking to give fly fishing a try early next year and it's good to know there is a useful resource like you mention.

H
halibuthitman
We all have the book we feel is our fishing bible... My game was transformed by reading In The Ring of the Rise, by vincent Marinaro... this book will really enlighten most fishers..

Irishrover
Irishrover
halibuthitman said:
We all have the book we feel is our fishing bible... My game was transformed by reading In The Ring of the Rise, by vincent Marinaro... this book will really enlighten most fishers..

Just ordered a used copy from Amazon. I figured I'd add it to the collection. Hope it goes well with a little Jameson Gold and a good pipe.;) The book that really got me hooked on fly fishing is "Of Men and Mountains" by William O. Douglas. It's not all about fly fishing but there was enough there to get me interested.

H
halibuthitman
used on amazon...good idea, I bought mine new in hard cover... come to think of it I think it will be paided off in october?....He he, it goes great with a little libation, its a touch scientific... its what happens when the art and mystic of flyfishing finally gives way to analitical science... and then one really starts catching fish-

Irishrover
Irishrover
Now I'm set with books for a little while. Dave I found that book used at Amazon for $1.98. Looking forward to it and Brads recomendation "In The Ring of the Rise" for $11.92 at Amazon. Bet they have some low cost copies of Cutis Creek Manifesto! Just checked they have one for 79 cents and a few for 80 cents ;)

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Irishrover said:
Now I'm set with books for a little while. Dave I found that book used at Amazon for $1.98. Looking forward to it and Brads recomendation "In The Ring of the Rise" for $11.92 at Amazon. Bet they have some low cost copies of Cutis Creek Manifesto! Just checked they have one for 79 cents and a few for 80 cents ;)

Lonn you can read til the beginning of the year then WE hit the crooked my friend,,,,you should come halibuthitman

E
everett464
Love this book. I have recommended it to many a friends, as they took up the sport. I may have even rec'd it around these part; I can't remember for sure.