My new carp dough :D

U
universalfishermatt
Not that anyone cares though. This be my 3rd new R&D recipe third times always "perfect", my first two worked really good even though its only landed me two big carp, countless dozens of small carp, swarms of panfish and some big bull cats.

Both big ones were caught within 5 min of casting out, presumably because they happened to be very close within the scent zone of my bait. I didn't have a very potent scent or flavor, so this batch is much stronger and should cover a wider area!

My last doughs did get stripped by other fish very quick compared to regular white bread 50% of the time which is the downfall sadly. Forces me to check my ball every 20 min so my window is very small.

I spaced out and falling asleep forgot what to say, I'll edit in stuff tomorrow when I'm out fishing again. All day. Below is my new dough though lol.
IMG_20140912_013515.jpg

I
igquick
What does R&D mean? what kind of dough is it this time?

My white bread with the method can usually stay in most waters for an hour.

M
montym
Did you guys ever try to microwave the dough balls a little? Those ought to last and stay on the hook a lot longer, though they will not work with Igquick's patent rig.

U
universalfishermatt
igquick said:
What does R&D mean? what kind of dough is it this time?

My white bread with the method can usually stay in most waters for an hour.

Research and development Lol, iv at times been able to retain my dough bait and recast out 4+ times where other little fish didn't attack. Which was super awesome!!!

U
universalfishermatt
montym said:
Did you guys ever try to microwave the dough balls a little? Those ought to last and stay on the hook a lot longer, though they will not work with Igquick's patent rig.

I don't have an issue at all keeping mine on my hair rig, its just when bluegills and cats start swarming and pecking at my dough with fury till its gone lol. My doughball as it sits gets pretty doughy, and firms up after it gets casted into the water and sits

bass
bass
Looks like you are using hamburger meat :)

I have always made doughball one of two ways (these recipes are from when I was a kid and I never saw a reason to change):

1. Boil salted water + flavorings (tobasco, jello, sugar, etc, or whatever you feel like or nothing at all). As it boils stir in cornmeal until it is the right consistency (takes some practice). Take off heat and let cool, then wrap in foil and put in zip lock bag. If dough is too soft work in a bit of flour (small amounts at a time) to stiffen it. If to hard (crumbly) work in some water (small amounts at a time).

2. Boil milk, salt + flavorings (usually I don't add any to this but sometimes maple syrup). Same as above boil milk (gently and slowly). Stir in wheat germ until you get to the desired consistency. Let cool and wrap in foil and put in zip lock bag. Improper consistency can be fixed as above.

In either case I have a big ball of dough that I pinch pieces of off to use as I fish. I know now days folks often make fancier dough bait and boilies, but the above to simple fast recipes have always worked well for me. The above is from my carp fishing contest days when I was younger. My brother won the weekly kitty multiple times using these baits.

U
universalfishermatt
Oh, no meat involved ;D. It does look like hamburger meat though!! But it smells so delicious.

U
universalfishermatt
You have a really good basic recipe bass. I might try #2 sometime after I finish my 3lb ball of dough Lol. I don't really want to use all those fancy junk, I prefer to be a minimalist when it comes to fishing just to show that you don't need factory made baits to catch. Although I might start making boilies for winter. It always feels great knowing you caught a fish on your own made bait :D

Last edited: