My name is Tom and I have a 8wt :)

Y
youngbuck307
So I did it... Was out with fishingfreak today doing some side work when we stopped by the fly shop... Well I wanted to look into sim vs redingtion waders.... I go through a pair every year. Wanted to look at some that were lil higher end than ones I been getting... Well from what he said was for bang for my buck redington would be great. Said simms would breath better and had some extras but probably last me as long as redingtions being how I treat waders....

O and ended up walking out with a redingtion crosswater 8wt!!! Lol tomorrow will be trying it out.... Made the switch u guys happy lol

E
eggs
youngbuck307 said:
So I did it... Was out with fishingfreak today doing some side work when we stopped by the fly shop... Well I wanted to look into sim vs redingtion waders.... I go through a pair every year. Wanted to look at some that were lil higher end than ones I been getting... Well from what he said was for bang for my buck redington would be great. Said simms would breath better and had some extras but probably last me as long as redingtions being how I treat waders....

O and ended up walking out with a redingtion crosswater 8wt!!! Lol tomorrow will be trying it out.... Made the switch u guys happy lol
Hell yea broski welcome to the good side.. you won't go back!

B
bigsteel
good for you,you will like fly fishing.

N
ninja2010
well, well... eight weight tom... it's about time.

M
Markcanby
Im trying to figure out how you go through a pair of waders every year. You know to wear shoes right?

Grats on the Rod!

brandon4455
brandon4455
youngbuck307 said:

i had the same 8wt till mine broke LOL.. well, enjoy it they are great combos go catch some steel!

Y
youngbuck307
Markcanby said:
Im trying to figure out how you go through a pair of waders every year. You know to wear shoes right?

Grats on the Rod!

Boots last about the same! But must say I did fish easy 150+ days a year last 2 years so that don't help much! If I were to fish just weekends sure would get a longer life from them

O
OnTheFly
Geez!...........Next you'll be telling us about all the steelhead you've been catching on the swing.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
You should have bought the Simms... :(

Y
youngbuck307
I still can only got the rod waders just went to check out.... Still don't know about waders though... I just am going to be pissed if I get a pair of simms and they don't last me a while.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Markcanby said:

Grats on the Rod!

You should see this kid leaping through the woods like a nimble deer. He charges across rivers without a pause. I can only imagine the wear and tear on his gear.

Y
youngbuck307
So think I just put a match to my money.... The rod looks like got shut in the car door.... I don't remember doing this at all..... My Girl says wasn't her.... So any one got a idea when a guys luck will turn around.... Everytime something goes good something worse seems to set me back

H
halibuthitman
youngbuck307 said:
So think I just put a match to my money.... The rod looks like got shut in the car door.... I don't remember doing this at all..... My Girl says wasn't her.... So any one got a idea when a guys luck will turn around.... Everytime something goes good something worse seems to set me back
congrats... now your a real fly fisherman.. sorry to hear it.

Y
youngbuck307
Lmao would of been nice to get it wet at least!

M
Markcanby
youngbuck307 said:

Hey Bobbi I dont think we have to imagine any more.
Hey sorry Tom couldnt help it.

E
eggs
Take it to the fly shop and have them rewrap. Shouldn't be much.. or call reddington and see if they will fix it for ya.. I think every fly fisherman has done this.. company's almost expect to fix every rod they sell haha

Irishrover
Irishrover
I dropped my driftboat anchor on my St Croix 5wt. Completely my fault for breaking my rod. I called St Croix, they just had me ship it back to them and sent me a new rod at no cost except shipping. Perhaps Redington might do the same or something similar.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
halibuthitman said:
congrats... now your a real fly fisherman.. sorry to hear it.

haha no kidding.

I keep my fly rod in a hard case that is strapped to my pontoon. When it leaves my toon, it goes from hard case directly into another hard case. One afternoon I was using the rod, broke off and just decided to end my day there. I reeled the line in all the way up into the reel leaving nothing through the guides, and slid the rod into the case.
A few days later I met up with CombatChuck to fish a pond. Now, I never, ever, EVER launch into ponds front first, I always back in for two reasons: You have to turn the boat around to get in, and it also puts the rod in danger. On that day I decided to launch face first, I even thought to myself it was a bad idea but I did it anyways. Since my rod didn't have any line through the guides the tip section bounced out of the case, got caught on a root, and... we all know the sound. I didn't even have to look to know that I was then less one $600 Sage XP. Doh.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Ok Tom.. I didn't want to tell this story... but it might make you feel better.
Last month I was in a pretty bad spot with my wife, her car had broken down 3 times in 4 months and I wasn't really ready to buy a new car.. but to get out of hot water I went and bought her a Toyota Highlander, now we have had this car 3 weeks and I had driven it home from the lot... thats it, so last friday I decided that the fly section of the N umpqua could no longer be ignored, so I stole her car and off I went. so I stopped at the first raft take-out and fished some adoreable water but the wanderlust got me deciding I needed to see where all that pretty water was coming from so I threw my rod broke down to 2 pieces on the back seat and off I went, a couple turns up the river a logging truck came down the road driving English style ( in my lane ) and I slammed the brakes.... well apparently not being well versed on the locking mechanism on the 2011 highlanders back seat it slammed forward with a resounding clunk.. which also inclueded a quite foriegn sound.. kind of a crsplatchunk... and I turned my Hardy Zane into a tomato splint in one second... and it was the only rod I brought, and fun little fact, apparently the most famous steel head river in the world does not have a flyshop anywhere near it that I could find... and I would love for someone to tell me where I missed it... Roseburg is an intersting little town:(

Y
youngbuck307
Well I emailed Redington asking what could be done on there end but going to have fishing freak take it to the fly shop tomorrow and see what they say about it....

And I found a fly spinning combo bigdog gave me a while back had top inch broke on it and I needed a rod to use at the time so he gave it to me... Seems like it's really skinny for a 8wt but what it says... Now I got a fly reel might as well try it out! Lol if I get into anything I'll see If fishing freak can't get some video