My mother-in-law...

E

eggs

Is bad ass at wood working.. she lives in Busan, Korea. She works at a studio(for fun) with a famous artist Tae Hong Park who has made stuff for Korean presidents and other...

My mother-in-law made every peice or furniture in their house... without 1 screw/nail/bolt.

Here is a peice she made... this was made from 1 solid block of wood, cut and sanded to make this..
IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

Last edited:
S

sherman

very unique furniture. She must have one heck of a band saw. My good friend that passed away at 70 was a master carpenter. He restored Italian Victorian homes & restored furniture from the 15 century. I have a chair he carved out from the jacobian era. All done with no power tools with grape leaves & grapes carved into the back & twisted wood legs & cain bottom. I have a deep respect for those with talent.

N

nwkiller

wow ur mom is amazing!!!!

E

eggs

No power tools used... all hand done with traditional korean wood working tools..

I will try to find some of other wood wock.. like a full size coffee table done the same way and style.. made from a 3 foot wide log 3 feet thick...legs and everything carved from a solid piece..

Last edited:
O

OnTheFly

Most artists will tell you that they can see the object before it is made. This is called artistic vision. Micheal Angelo didn't carve statues from marble. He claimed the images were there already and he just chipped away the material that didn't belong. Your Mother-in-law has true vision.

L

lilsalmon

Those are so cool....I have a bandsaw but only can make baskets....what she does is true talent

T

the_intimidator03

that is some stunning woodwork, but i gotta say that table is making me drool. I want

P.S. the red one LOL the other one is also a table but i gotta say the cuts are amazing.

M

metalfisher76

Very cool post! She`s got skills that pay the bills!:D

B

bigsteel

excellent woodwoking skilld here,i remember you telling me about the furniture she made,its nice to see it.

troutdude

troutdude

Wow! I never thought, that I would see someone with skills similar to George Nakashima. Amazing!

E

eggs

thanks guys.. we have the chance to have my mother-in-law and the artist to travel over here and stay with us and will make us anything we want for free as long as we buy the wood and tools and plane flight... so sometime in a year or so we might have them come stay for 2 or 3 months..

G

GDBrown

Most artists will tell you that they can see the object before it is made. This is called artistic vision. Micheal Angelo didn't carve statues from marble. He claimed the images were there already and he just chipped away the material that didn't belong. Your Mother-in-law has true vision.

I agree with OTF, I experienced that when I was working in graphic arts. I would be able to see the finished idea in my head and worked until I had it on paper. Her talent is evident from her work, you are a fortunate man to have a M-in-L like that.

I have tried to do that while fishing, you know, visualize the fish on the end of my line. Hasn't worked yet but I'll keep trying. LOL

F

FishFiddle

Truly Amazing!! Very nice post. I have done a number of wood projects, but this really puts things in perspective but then I am still amateur status and in fishing as well. I have been fortunate enough to have some very artistic/talented friends, they have been an inspiration to me. It is a pleasure to see how much you appreciate your M-I-Ls talent.

G

GraphiteZen

That's impressive, very impressive. I would venture to say that there is very little sawing done and the majority of it is carving and sanding, which lends to the true magnitude of what she is doing.

Top Bottom