My line wore a groove in my reel

T
TTFishon
The reel is only 3 years old. It's a Shimano Sedona 2500FB and the groove is in the bail arm. The problem is the line gets in the groove and cuts the line. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem with there reels?

T
Thuggin4Life
The shakespear that came with my uglystick combo i bought a few years ago did it last year. seems like it had been about as old as yours. the line stopped setting in the bearing area that it was suppossed to and start catch in the plastic. took me a while to realize what was causing my line to get shreaded so quick. Had a crack in the eye of the tip so i fixed it and it was still doing it. then i ound the problem. thrashed the reel and haven't had a problem with it since.

T
TTFishon
I read somewhere that Shimano has after market parts for their bait casting reels. I wonder if they do for their spin reels too? If so I need to get an aluminum part instead of cheap plastic. It ticks me off that a person can't buy anything that lasts anymore. My last reel I paid 50 bucks for it and it lasted 15 years.

C
cwsmith
i have two reels that have done this... its very annoying and i would think it would fray the line a little. one was an abu garcia reel and the other some cheap rod/reel combo from walmart... i dont remember the brand...

F
Finneus Polebender
That blows especially when ya finally hook a big one and ka-snap must remedy that situation pronto!

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
That blows especially when ya finally hook a big one and ka-snap must remedy that situation pronto!

Yeah, I was worried with that brown but as long as I pay attention to where my line is it's ok. Since I can't afford to get a new reel right now I think I can file the groove out with one of Anna's nail filers. Hopefully I can get an aluminum replacement. If not then the reel is crap.

B
beaverfan
You know I bought the same reel this last winter and it did the same thing in about 3 months! I've heard of it happening with braided line but mine did it with 8lb Maxima UG.

T
todd
every reel i buy does it 3 years is good though.mine only last 6 months

T
TTFishon
Mine did it with 4 and 6 lb Stren. It's something to think about when I get my next reel. Make sure that part is metal or get the quick fire style like my last reel.