My letter to ODFW about the "wall"

M
Mike123
I was returned with this letter from John at ODFW.. very informative! :clap:

Mr. C.;

Sorry for the delayed response but your email was just recently forwarded to me. Given the unique situation at "The Wall" at Oregon City, we have looked into possible solutions several times in recent years including release chutes, a floating dock, bank access, etc. All of our attempts to find a better method for releasing fish have ended in the same place i.e. there is no easy solution due to cost, liability, or some other issue. Because there is limited bank angling opportunity in the area, we have relied on enforcement to address some of the issues associated with "The Wall". ODFW doesn't own the property and therefore would probably need to close bank angling entirely in that general area to address issues at "The Wall". Proposed construction to the old Oregon City Bridge will likely result in "The Wall" being effectively closed also, but I understand that construction has been delayed at least one year.

ODFW is currently working to install a new dock at the "Catwalk" which would at least provide an alternative for some anglers to use in the same area. The project is funded and we are currently securing permits. Once this dock is in place, I would assume opportunity at "The Wall" will be revisited.

I'm not sure you are aware, but due to declining trends in white sturgeon abundance in the mainstem Columbia, there may be some significant changes coming for white sturgeon retention fisheries in 2010 and beyond. The states are currently considering harvest reductions of 35-50% and a corresponding harvest cap for the Willamette River which would effectively shorten the Willamette retention season. In addition, a May-July or August sturgeon spawning sanctuary (no angling for sturgeon) from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Willamette Falls is also being considered based on documentation of viable spawning in that area. This would also function to reduce effort at "The Wall". These topics will be discussed at a public meeting scheduled for 6:30 PM January 12 at the Clackamas County Historical Society located at 211 Tumwater Drive, in Oregon City.

Finally, although it would be handy, we do not have any data on the survival rate of white sturgeon "released" from "The Wall".

Thank you for your concern for the white sturgeon resource. I hope this information is useful.

John North

ODFW Columbia River Fisheries Manager

17330 SE Evelyn St.

Clackamas, OR 97015

971-673-6029

S
SNDSLGR
Way to get involved in something that matters to you. Too many of us sportsman sit on our hands and ***** to each other rather than being active. Thats why the crystal-grippin hippies always win, they are pro-active.

M
Mike123
Yup thanks!

I wrote back that I think it's lousy the fisherman are gonna get robbed more fish/fishing and we have to pay more for licenses, yet we have more and more sea lions showing up and nothing is done about them. What, we killed like one or two? Whoopdy doo! :protest:

F
Fishtopher
Mike123 said:
Finally, although it would be handy, we do not have any data on the survival rate of white sturgeon "released" from "The Wall".

John North

I think ol Johnny meant to say the "death rate" of white sturgeon "tossed off of a cliff".

T
Thuggin4Life
iT WOULDN'T BE HARD TO SEE HOW MANY DIE THE COULD JUST PUT A RADIO TAG ON THEM AND WATCH THE FISH FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AND SEE IT SLOWLY GOING DOWNSTREAM AND WATCH FOR THE BODY. jUST A THOUGHT.

M
Mike123
Last time I fished for springers under the bridge I seen at least 3 sturgeon floating on top of the water. :confused: I'm almost positive they came from the wall cause they weren't far from it.

J
John B
Thats way cool that someone got a response from ODFW. I know that quite a few people have sent e-mails to ODFW. If this issue is always in there face they will know that concerned fisherman are watching and looking for a solution. If sturgeon fishing was a strictly catch and release fishrie that would be fine with me so long as it saved the stocks for future generations of sportsman. As far as the wall goes, private property or not, SHUT IT DOWN.
There is public river front access all up and down the river. I think every Sturgeon fisherman who is concerned about this issue of the wall should take a stand TODAY to help protect the future of the fishrie. Send e-mails, e-mails with pictures, post videos on you tube, whatever, I will be back on the water very soon, and along with my Sturgeon gear will be my trusty video camera.
See you on the water.:clap::clap::clap: