My fishing trip to the Rogue 3-26-11

G
GerbilManBoa
Went fishing at McGregor Park off the bank. The reports I got from "The Fishn' Hole Fly shop" in shady cove were that they were getting reports of people catching springers and catch lots and lots of steelies, though they said the reports were not good for today (3-26-11). I got reports from people at the river all day from that area of the river. None of them good. Nobody even had a bite! Luckily though I got a bite... eventually. I was using a 3" soft plastic salamander swim bait. Red with blue sparkles and a fluorescent orange tail. It was a extremely hard bite! I just barely missed it! Right after I missed, I saw it jump. It had hit other peoples hooks before because I saw a red hook in the corner of it's mouth. It was a beautiful springer! GOD I WISH I WOULD HAVE HOOKED & CAUGHT IT! Thankfully though, it was not my hook in the side of it's mouth! The fish looked to be about 15 to 20 pounds.

G
GerbilManBoa
That was the only action of the day.

E
eat, sleep, fish
No offense but it sounds a bit fishy to me...There hasn't been a single springer caught in the upper river yet....

R
RunWithSasquatch
eat said:
No offense but it sounds a bit fishy to me...There hasn't been a single springer caught in the upper river yet....

A bit fishy? How many springers have you heard being caught on salamanders?

J
JeannaJigs
RunWithSasquatch said:

LMAO! It's the new hot bait ;)

R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
LMAO! It's the new hot bait ;)

No kidding, right? Stickleback guy see's this he'll be pickling Springer Salamander tippers and wigglers:think:

J
JeannaJigs
Oh damn, I foresee a new onslaught of fish pictures with springer salamander tippers and wigglers very obviously and unnaturally hanging from the fish's mouth in the future featured reports!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
R
RunWithSasquatch
:lol:

C
capblack
RunWithSasquatch said:

yeah, but this one had blue sparkles!! :lol::lol: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

troutdude
troutdude
Crikey Batman, where can I get me some blue sparkly salamanders?

Why gee Robin, I have some right here in my Bat Utility belt!

I think GMB, has been playing too much w/ his gerbil.

T
Thuggin4Life
RunWithSasquatch said:
No kidding, right? Stickleback guy see's this he'll be pickling Springer Salamander tippers and wigglers:think:

lmao

S
skunk
Hey at least he keeps his reports colorful and never gives up. haha, wish I could see the color of a small hook hanging out of a jumping fishes mouth. I might even be able to spot them in the water then!!!

F
Finneus Polebender
REEL comedy folks UH OH the big secret is out bass bait for springers youll pay for this one GMB.

brandon4455
brandon4455
finneus polebender said:
reel comedy folks uh oh the big secret is out bass bait for springers youll pay for this one gmb.

lol.

C
colbypearson
GerbilManBoa said:
I was using a 3" soft plastic salamander swim bait. Red with blue sparkles and a fluorescent orange tail. It was a extremely hard bite! I just barely missed it! Right after I missed, I saw it jump. It had hit other peoples hooks before because I saw a red hook in the corner of it's mouth. It was a beautiful springer!

very rarely do i hear of a bass lure i have never heard of LOL theres one..... and good lord i need the same glasses as you, i see the red hook in its mouth as it jumps HAHAHAHAHA

G
GerbilManBoa
We have lots of salamanders in oregon. So I'm sure they are part of a fishes diet, at least a small part. But I also may have got it into an aggressive mood by yanking the lure past its face. It was really bright colors anyway. You've got to remember, these are salmon we are talking about. You can definitively get get them angry. Go to The Fishn' Hole Fly shop in Shady Cove and they'll tell you about the reports of some springers.

G
GerbilManBoa
colbypearson said:
very rarely do i hear of a bass lure i have never heard of LOL theres one..... and good lord i need the same glasses as you, i see the red hook in its mouth as it jumps HAHAHAHAHA

Man, The sun was shining on it, and the fish was only about 10 to 12 feet away from were I was! It was a very large hook too. It wasn't hard to see

J
JeannaJigs
Mmm no.

You're so full of it, I bet your eyes have turned brown.

Fisherman are a species naturally inclined to stretch the truth about their fishing exploits, but salamanders? C'mon

troutdude
troutdude
Let's not forget his/her's original statement:

"Red with blue sparkles and a fluorescent orange tail."

Even IF a salmon would hit a salamander, since when does Oregon have any with these flamboyant colorations? That would scare the heck out of the fish, and they'd head the other way. Or perhaps the salamander's name was Liberace?

I've already called him/her a dumb ass. Now he/she has proved my point.

The prosecution rests your honor.

Last edited:
M
metalfisher76
All I know is, those are all damn!! good salmon/steel colors. A fish story? maybe... but still. Why the flame on? Just wonderin??