My Fishing Shirt

C
cavdad45
About 9 years ago, a lady at church gave me a yellow short-sleeved shirt because her husband would not wear it. The first couple years I used it as an informal sport shirt and then it became my favorite fishing shirt. The yellow was a good contrast color to the scenery and the fish for photos.

Now my shirt's color is frayed and every crease on every seam has worn out. I love this shirt. You can soak it in mud and blood and toss it in the washer and never stain. My wife hates the shirt and wants me to get rid of it.

On our recent trip to Florida, she bought me three fancy "Worldwide Sportsman" fishing shirts at Bass Pro Shops. They are cool, but they are not my lucky shirt.

I proposed a compromise with her. I would retire my shirt and we would frame it and put it in the hallway (my fishing Hall of fame). She says I should put it in a shoebox and bury it in the backyard. Would you bury Michael Jordan's jersey? Or Joe Montana's jersey? So why would she think I would bury my jersey (fishing shirt). It deserves a hallowed place of honor to be remembered.

H
halibuthitman
I would cut a small piece off the lucky shirt, and sew it somewhere on the inside of the new shirt.. or in the pocket.

T
Troutier Bassier
Cut of a Piece of the shirt and put it in the Hallway, Or on a Baseball Card!

J
joesnuffy
halibuthitman said:
I would cut a small piece off the lucky shirt, and sew it somewhere on the inside of the new shirt.. or in the pocket.

i like this idea :clap:

C
cavdad45
Maybe I should have her cut a piece off her wedding dress, too! :shock:

Bass Man
Bass Man
Hi cavdad45,
That doesn't sound like much of a compromise, it's not like she is wearing your favorite fishing shirt. She wants you to bury it and even got you some new ones to replace it but I still don't see why she would even ask you to stop wearing it. Honestly I would continue to wear it, hide it in your boat or truck and when you go fishing put it on when she isn't with you. So it's seen better days man, little old, frayed and worn.....it's your lucky shirt. I vote to keep it...just wondering why does she hate it so much? It's fishin..not a fashion show:)

O
OnTheFly
Know what I think? I think you should retire it like they do for NBA players in sports arenas and hang it from the cieling somewere in the house for eternity.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Im with OTF. That sucker belongs in the rafters.

A
Anyfishisfine
Fishing has a huge luck component, so you don't mess with your lucky fishing things.

Your wife cannot and never will understand that, but what is important is that you understand it and act accordingly.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Hey cavdad, if your wife will not except anything but direct burial of the lucky shirt then you only have one option left to save your marriage. Take the new shirt she bought for you and take it along on your next fishing trip. Don't wear it, instead soak it with lake water then take the largest fish you catch that day and wrap it up with the shirt. This will get any stink off the new shirt and become your new lucky one.:D

Bass Man
Bass Man
thank you Anyfishisfine

thank you Anyfishisfine

Anyfishisfine said:
Fishing has a huge luck component, so you don't mess with your lucky fishing things.

Your wife cannot and never will understand that, but what is important is that you understand it and act accordingly.

:clap::clap: so you don't mess with your lucky fishing things:clap::clap: