My first pontoon!

J
jmelinte
I just picked up the Outfitter X9 from Costco. It's pretty much the same thing as the Colorado XT from what I've seen and read, but I liked Costco's pretty much "anything goes" return policy and the price tag. I put it together this afternoon in less than an hour, and I was glad to see how easily it can be disassembled, since I drive a sedan and wasn't planning on transporting it put together. I'm thinking of a possible maiden "voyage" on Hagg lake this week or next.

As far as plans for it go, I know that a standing floor is available, but it runs about $150, so I might throw one together from scratch with some clamps, piping, and floor boards courtesy of Home Depot. Before I take it up to East Lake, where I have done most of my lake fishing, I'd like to throw a Fishin Buddy finder and a small Minn Kota trolling motor on there. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just excited about it :)

18406ej
18406ej
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

J
jmelinte
I forgot to mention, I'm going to add a homemade standing board. I found a site that sells accessories for these toons, but the boad was $150 plus shipping. I think I can rig something together for about 50. It won't be for a while, but I'll post some pictures if it works out.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to the world...

Welcome to the world...

You are going to love it, opens up a completely new world. May I suggest a new PFD, you will need on for sure.

Chuck

O
osmosis
PFD's are imperative to maintain legality on the water. legality and safety.
If you do put the minn kota on it, you will have to register the boat.
I just got a pontoon and floated the middle section of the clack after taking it on a local lake to test for kinks. They are a blast, thats for sure. Little fish can tow you around on it in the lakes..

J
jmelinte
Yeah, a life jacket will be coming along with me for sure. How much does registering run in OR? Will I need any sort of boater's license if I do that?

T
TTFishon
Congrats on the new pontoon. I was thinking about getting a Costco toon. Be sure and let us know how it works out for you.

J
jmelinte
Thanks for the info! Any suggestions for calm waters to fish from my new toon that are reasonably close to Portland? Hagg Lake might be my first trip, but iIm not sure what else there is around. I'm hoping for somewhere with fish that I can actually keep and eat once in a while (we all know about the three eyed ones near town :) )

M
meluvtrout
May 23rd! North Fork Reservoir! It'll be best time spent with that new toon of yours?

J
joeyota
I have been eye ball-en those every time I am in Costco. One of these times I will no longer be able to resist and it will come home with me.

Good luck with your toon!

J
jmelinte
So I finally took her out for the first time. My girlfriend and I spent the morning/early afternoon at Hagg Lake, with me in my pontoon and her in my inflatable raft. I have to say, I love this thing. It took a while to get used to managing all my gear because I was pretty afraid of dropping anything in the water. After a while, though it was a great experience. It definitely gets moving too. The oars on my raft are basically crap, so I actually had to tow my girlfriend in because she wasn't making much progress against the wind. The one complaint I have so far is that the rubber ring that keeps the oar from going completely through the oar lock slid all the way up one of my oars. It looks like the rings are made of two rubber halves, with screws tightening them together. I'll have to remember to bring a screwdriver with me from now on. I didn't catch anything because I spent more time rowing against the wind than casting. I kept getting blown toward shore, and I had no way to anchor. The anchor that came with the pontoon is the rock bag and rope type. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any sizeable rocks at the lake, so I had to do without. I'll be bringing my own rocks from now on, as funny as that sounds. Another amazing thing that I'd like to point out is that I managed to fit the entire boat in the trunk of my BMW sedan. Granted, I had to put it together when I got there, but it's really not too tough to do, especially with an electric pump. It was an overall great experience, and I can't wait to take it out again now that I've learned a few lessons :)

O
OnTheFly
jmelinte said:
So I finally took her out for the first time. My girlfriend and I spent the morning/early afternoon at Hagg Lake, with me in my pontoon and her in my inflatable raft. I have to say, I love this thing. It took a while to get used to managing all my gear because I was pretty afraid of dropping anything in the water. After a while, though it was a great experience. It definitely gets moving too. The oars on my raft are basically crap, so I actually had to tow my girlfriend in because she wasn't making much progress against the wind. The one complaint I have so far is that the rubber ring that keeps the oar from going completely through the oar lock slid all the way up one of my oars. It looks like the rings are made of two rubber halves, with screws tightening them together. I'll have to remember to bring a screwdriver with me from now on. I didn't catch anything because I spent more time rowing against the wind than casting. I kept getting blown toward shore, and I had no way to anchor. The anchor that came with the pontoon is the rock bag and rope type. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any sizeable rocks at the lake, so I had to do without. I'll be bringing my own rocks from now on, as funny as that sounds. Another amazing thing that I'd like to point out is that I managed to fit the entire boat in the trunk of my BMW sedan. Granted, I had to put it together when I got there, but it's really not too tough to do, especially with an electric pump. It was an overall great experience, and I can't wait to take it out again now that I've learned a few lessons :)

First of all...lose the rocks. Get a 10lb pyrimid lead anchor at Fishermans Marine. Provide at least 35' of anchor line if you bait fish and 25' if you fly fish. Stock the pouches. Keep 8, 6, and 4lb leader in there at all times. You'll also need a whistle, PFD, Hemostat, water, and most of all sun screen. Keep other items you think are important in there as well. The key is to set yourself up so you can pack up and leave on a dime. Any time your line is not in the water you are not fishing. Once you are set up, and have adjusted your techniques, such as trolling speed etc, it is possible you will never get skunked trout fishing again from your boat. Pontoons are great! You'll never regret getting one. Enjoy!

J
jmelinte
OnTheFly said:
First of all...lose the rocks. Get a 10lb pyrimid lead anchor at Fishermans Marine. Provide at least 35' of anchor line if you bait fish and 25' if you fly fish. Stock the pouches. Keep 8, 6, and 4lb leader in there at all times. You'll also need a whistle, PFD, Hemostat, water, and most of all sun screen. Keep other items you think are important in there as well. The key is to set yourself up so you can pack up and leave on a dime. Any time your line is not in the water you are not fishing. Once you are set up, and have adjusted your techniques, such as trolling speed etc, it is possible you will never get skunked trout fishing again from your boat. Pontoons are great! You'll never regret getting one. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice! A lead anchor is what I was thinking too, actually, especially since Joe's has them for really cheap. As far as the pouches go, I was thinking I'll tend to keep them empty when the boat isn't in use, just because it allows me to fold it up small.