My first inlines

R

rickman

Thought I would post the first inline spinners I made last week. I'm feeling a little more comfortable and things should turn out a little better as I keep going. (I don't know why I feel I need to have a dressed hook. I need to simplify things a bit.

Top left was #1. Sonic spinner blade with pre-tied dressed treble. The one on the right has a black nickel blade and my first attempt at dressing a treble. As you can see I need more work in that department (I'm working on tying dressed hooks too).
Spinners2.png

#3 has a #2 fluted Indiana blade. The one on the right pretty standard and another attempt at dressing. This time the end of the wire instead of the treble.
Spinners1.png

#5 All brass with a pre-tied trout fly attached with a split-ring. I found a good selection of pre-tied trout flies at Sportsman's Warehouse (very cheap) with hook sizes from #4 down to #12 (the sizes I would use). This would actually be quicker and cheaper than learning and doing them myself. I just don't care for the single hook.
Spinner3.png

troutdude

troutdude

I made some a few years back, with Woolly Buggers attached. I tried them multiple times and in different conditions and waters. NADA. I quit making them.

But the ones that look like Mepps, may stand a chance.

M

Markcanby

I like the look of all those. Really like #5 but maybe cause Im a fly guy.

D

DirectDrive

Thought I would post the first inline spinners I made last week. I'm feeling a little more comfortable and things should turn out a little better as I keep going. (I don't know why I feel I need to have a dressed hook. I need to simplify things a bit.

Top left was #1. Sonic spinner blade with pre-tied dressed treble. The one on the right has a black nickel blade and my first attempt at dressing a treble. As you can see I need more work in that department (I'm working on tying dressed hooks too).
Spinners2.png

#3 has a #2 fluted Indiana blade. The one on the right pretty standard and another attempt at dressing. This time the end of the wire instead of the treble.
Spinners1.png

#5 All brass with a pre-tied trout fly attached with a split-ring. I found a good selection of pre-tied trout flies at Sportsman's Warehouse (very cheap) with hook sizes from #4 down to #12 (the sizes I would use). This would actually be quicker and cheaper than learning and doing them myself. I just don't care for the single hook.
Spinner3.png

Very, very nice!
If these are your first, you are well on your way to permanent brain damage.
Brass particles will be showing up in your blood samples :D

I started "rolling my own" in '86 and I'll make a few comments....

#1 is an inline and has a cool color scheme....buggy.

#2 is a French blade and has a great color scheme.
Mepps was first to market such a spinner blade and was made in France, hence the generic copies are called French blades.
I use a number #4 French blade and a similar, but 4-sized body for steelhead up here.

When you get hard core into spinners you become either a French blade guy or an inline guy. They run differently. There seems to be no in between.
In river fishing, inlines, IMO, are easier to learn on and more forgiving.
French blades are like the high-strung thoroughbred, finicky but powerful.

#3 is what we call a clamshell blade. They are used up here in the magnum sizes for salmon spinners that are trolled or anchor-fished. Rarely are they used on weighted, casting spinners.

#4 is a nice-looking French blade...I like the wire dressing, innovative!

#5 is another nice French blade.....I'm a single hook user so I like it.

Thanks for posting and keep up the good work !

G

GDBrown

Welcome to the forum! Mesa is a long way from Oregon.... How did you find the forum? Do you now live in the NW or visit here? I have a daughter who lives in Chandler with her husband and two daughters.

The spinners look pretty good to me. I like your idea for number two and five. Number four looks good too but I'm wondering if the dressing will allow the hook to articulate the way it needs to without binding?

Post some more I'm interested in doing a little of that too. I'm a fly fisher at heart!

GD

R

rickman

Thanks for the input all. Being these are the first ones I've made, I need to get the design basics down, i.e., which blade style and size along with some different body styles. I'm going to try and make my own versions of some of the commercial ones I like and then make "my" versions.

I have some relatives that live in Medford with a cousin who is an avid bass fisherman there. He said he used to fish for trout/salmon but the laws were too strict and confusing depending on what you were fishing for and where. So he concentrates on bass now. (He came down here to the desert with just 3 lures and he outfished all of us "desert rats".) I lived in Hillsboro for about 3 months back in 2005. Did a lot driving around and saw a lot of areas that looked "fishy". I was there between January through March. Bought some nice fishing gear while I was there (that no sales tax was awesome).

Last edited:
F

fish_4_all

I really like the bottom one in the top picture and the very bottom one. Nohting wrong with a dressed hook. A lot of people use pink yarn on their hooks here and it works rather well. I am thinking baout tyinbg the hooks up with pink chenille and see if it makes a difference. Might even try red and orange.

No reason those won't catch fish. Might even be the one that works when a bare hook won't.

R

rickman

My first fish with one of "my" inline spinners.
MyLure.png

The bottom one in black was the ticket.
Spinners2.png

D

DirectDrive

Nice job Rickman !

Lake fishing?......the French blade would have been my choice, as well.
The inline would be good in moving water because it can cut in quickly and is easy to operate.

F

fish_4_all

Love those hammered blades. nice spinners. I need to make some for trout up here.

K

Kelkay

Congrats on the spinners, and the fish! It is cool to catch a fish on a spinner you made alrighty. :)

R

rickman

Another couple of fish with "my" homemade inline spinner. Black body, gold beads, black hammered blade and dressed treble. Gotta make some more of these in different sizes as this has been my number one fish catcher so far.

1 1/2 lb.
SR-LMB1.png

A dink
SR-LMB3.png

troutdude

troutdude

I have caught more Salmon on all black spinners, than on any color!

If you get a chance...could I talk you into sending me a close up pic of your spinner? It's hard to tell, but I think the only difference between yours and mine is the dressing.

R

rickman

It's the bottom one. I'm going to make up a bunch of these in different sizes. This is "my" goto inline spinner. Good for trout and bass so far.

Spinners2.png

troutdude

troutdude

Thanks for posting that pic. The dressing kind of looks like a Woolly Bugger w/ long legs.

I have some that I made, dressed up with a Woolly Bugger. But, I have yet to catch anything with them. Time to experiment.

R

rickman

I didn't try to tie any particular pattern, I just stuck some stuff on the hook that looked "buggy" and went with it. So far it's working.

Dressed-Trebles.png

Dressed-Hooks.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom