My first dozen spinners.

M
Modest_Man
Let me know what you think. Eleven have the nylon sheets on them, one has fingernail polish (the one with dots). Surprisingly, my girlfriends fingernail polish stash is quite small and the only "good" colors I could try were pink and white.

The very first one is the long black one in the middle. The black one on the left has a pink back to it, and the one on the far right is my fingernail polish one.

Just trying to get the hang of bending them before I buy a bunch of stuff!

Now where to go "test" these on trout tomorrow...hmmm. :think:

5037797823_14c4205a09_b.jpg

5038415232_b53bf6b166_b.jpg

G
GMR
looks good:) good luck on testing them out

C
cwsmith
i do not know if you did or not but make sure you put a clear finish over the blade so they paint does not come right off.

troutdude
troutdude
The red and white ones should trigger some Coho strikes. So, don't limit yourself to only trout.

Good luck with your beta test!

B
bernduffy
Nice work. You'll nab some on those. I don't find trout all that discriminating...They've eventually hit almost any spinner I've thrown at them, if it's the right time of day or right water. Salmon (and steelhead) is another story...
But my question is whether the color should go on the outside or inside of blade? I've followed Jed Davis' suggestion and placed my color on the inside and done ok. But all the commercially made spinners are decorated on the outside. Any thoughts?

F
fish_4_all
The spinners look good to me. I have never thought about putting tape on them but is an idea for sure. I haven't used many Colorado or Indiana blades either, mostly french blades.

As for where to put the color, mix and match and find what works. I have used single sided painted blades and double sided, inside with some flash and the outside a solid. Haven't found too many combinations that if they are fished right and are the right combos that won't catch salmon. Oh and don't hesitate to use those little #1's for salmon. At times out here in tidal water it takes a #3 or #2 just to get them to bite at times. A #1 might be just as effective when bigger spinners fall far short. It is kinda small but no reason a Coho won't smack them if they find it.

K
Kelkay
Good looking spinners!

troutdude
troutdude
bernduffy said:
But my question is whether the color should go on the outside or inside of blade? I've followed Jed Davis' suggestion and placed my color on the inside and done ok. But all the commercially made spinners are decorated on the outside. Any thoughts?

Who "bites" on the flashy front decorated spinners in the store? You or the fish?

It is nothing short of a marketing technique, to get fisherpeeps to buy them at the store. And they make 'em shiny and flashy, so the manufacturer's and their employees can make a living (and the stores that sell them). It is just another part of our free enterprise system.

I'm not saying that some of them don't work. Some do. But, YOU have to determine which (and in that LONG and LENGTHY process...you waste a LOT of TIME and MONEY).

I'm beginning to grow weary of defending Jed Davis' book and principles. When will peeps just get the book, and try his approahes??? I'm trying to educate peeps on what TRULY works, so you will start catching fish and stop wasting time and $$$.

Jed KNOWS how to catch fish. The very first time that I made a Davis designed spinner, and followed his principles...I hooked into 4 'Nooks all in the 40+ pound range!!! And that was in less than 2 hours. His ideas WORK.

The stores are merely SELLING you on a BILL OF GOODS.

The defense rests.

M
Modest_Man
The fish like them. Didn't have a single one of the 5 I tried not catch fish. Red with white caught just a couple, white with red caught a couple. Black with pink back caught one, plain black caught lots, and black with orange bottom caught lots. I think total I was at ~30 fish in the 6-10" range in three hours.

I was on the upper Abiqua. Sunny with water clarity in the 10-12' range. Super clear. Fun day!

5039694451_d3cb074346_b.jpg

5040319760_7aeba13cee_b.jpg

Last edited:
K
Kelkay
I ordered that book, and Spinner Magic. Hopefully it will line me out on making spinners.

N
ninja2010
Kelkay said:
I ordered that book, and Spinner Magic. Hopefully it will line me out on making spinners.

jed's book will point you to simplicity... unfortunately most of his book extensively covers spinner fishing for steelhead and he touched on salmon as well. hopefully you can adapt his very scientific and methodical approach to the local waters and fisheries in your locale.

modest-man - your spinners are definitely winners, and the fish prove it. although, i'm not too keen on the ones with the "x" coz when the blade's spinning, that marking just becomes a blur... my 2 pesos. no biggie.. as long as the fish like 'em and you enjoy making 'em, that's all that counts.

Last edited:
X
xacex
Im a noob, but own The new spinner magic book, and Jeds book. Jed davis's book wins hand down. Worked for me! Picked up a twistech and made some spinners,but I have no time to fish! Its always to little money, or to little time.

K
Kelkay
I hope the books help me too. A lot of times what trout like, bass do too. Bass just want it a little bigger.

C
ChezJfrey
Kelkay said:
I hope the books help me too. A lot of times what trout like, bass do too. Bass just want it a little bigger.

This is what I have found. I do well with white and black spinners for bass. In fact, they aren't the only ones...just yesterday I got a hit, but not much of a fighting fish after hooking. When I pulled it closer, I found a 7 inch bluegill had attached itself to my white spinner. I still have no idea how that tiny little mouth even got around the hook!

K
Kelkay
If bream were bigger, they would be the most sought after fish in Texas. They sure fight more by size than most bass. Bream also will hit all kinds of lures quicker too. They fight awful hard for being such a small fish. If they were big, I would target them more often.... as far as black and white goes, I will have to try more black. I know they like white around here.

troutdude
troutdude
To quote Beaverfan...WOOT WOOT!!! Nice job. Sweet looking spinners.

Yep, those are Jed's designs alright. I bought my first components from Don, at least 25 years ago. Don is the "bomb-diggity". A genuinely nice gent, who also happens to know his stuff about spinners and fishing! He is the ONLY guy that I buy from.

The first time, that I tried Don's components (and in a Jed Davis design/pattern)...I hooked into 4 large 'nooks in one day on the Siletz!

K
Kelkay
Very nice work there!!

R
rickman
Nice looking spinners, guys!

I've found that my all black spinners get more hits, at one of the lakes here anyway. Will be hitting a nearby river next week to try some more out.

troutdude
troutdude
I forgot to mention, that all black spinners (black blade, body and hook shank tubing) are DEADLY on Chinook!!!

M
Modest_Man
I got this cutthroat trying for chinook the other day. Largest fish so far on my home made spinners. It was on a size 4 silver/red combo.

1110072653.jpg

I also got a 4" large mouth on the black and red size one today. :think: