My favorite trout lures

C

chris61182

The recent thread on fishing Walter Wirth and Walling Ponds got my thinking, if I could only pick a handful of lures trout fishing what would I take?

So I sat down to take a peak through my tackle box and set out what I use the most often.

From Left to Right:

1/4oz Silver Blue Fox Vibrax: I'm a fan of the Blue Fox spinners but they aren't the most consistent producers so I'd actually give or take having one of these with. More importantly to me is having a light colored spinner in this size (1/4 to 3/8oz), I might replace it with a white bang tail.

3/8oz Black Bang Tail: I love this lure, if I had to pick a single lure to fish with for the rest of my life this would be the one. It runs deep for a spinner of it's size, the blades spin easily, and most importantly it drives the fish crazy.

1/16oz Chartreuse Rooster Tail: This used to be my go-to brand and color until for some reason they made a change and you get dud-lures where the blades don't spin freely.

1/8oz Chatterbait: This lure is still new to me, and I bought it right before it got really cold out. This lure runs deeper than the 3/8oz bang tail I'm already a fan of, and it produces a real unique shake. The one trip I used it, it produced a real aggressive and repeated set of strikes where I was unable to get the hook into the fish. So I will definitely be using it again, but only time will tell how if it stays in the must have pile.

1/8 to 1/16oz jigs: I believe all of these are marketed as crappie jigs but they work unbelievably for trout as well. Must have colors are the usual, black, pink, and white, but I've also found sparkley works well too.

3" trout worm: Same as with the jigs, whether it's marketed as a trout worm or a crappie worm, the fish don't care. Usually I actually just use one as a trailer on one of my lures, but I'll also use them when bobber fishing instead of powerbait.

Blue Fox Flash Spoon: I don't know what it is but the fish go wild for this particular type of spoon. I've got a whole box full of your standard daredevil style spoons in nearly every color and pattern imaginable, they even have their days where they'll work. But when all else fails this is the one that'll produce.

And that rounds out my must have lures, what are everyone else's must have lures?

Last edited:
Troutski

Troutski

This is gonna be a long thread...

This is gonna be a long thread...

I'm in; just give me some time to gather up my stuff and take a few photo's. Oh yea this is gonna be a long thread. Nice job Chris.

Chuck

T

tongo

very nice read, i have one questions though. i have recently got into jig fishing and am having a very hard time. how do you set up your rig for jigs and also what technique?

my must have lures are about the same as yours.
blue fox spinners work great for brooders
rooster tails are great during warmer weather
i also like the kastmaster and also panther martins.

C

chris61182

I actually just cast them and let them float naturally, no floats or anything. This is no problem in lakes, but in rivers it takes a little bit of work and planning to keep as much slack out of the line as possible. Oh and a good pair of polarized glasses go a long way too :cool: .

T

tongo

sweet thanks but one more question, how do you cast them far?

C

chris61182

How do you cast them far? Well in short you don't.

Because of the marabou (or so I assume) they definitely don't fly as far as a spinner of the same weight but the difference doesn't seem to be too bad.

So other than just dealing with the natural weightlessness of the lure, I generally only fish ultra light gear. A 7' ultra light rod, ultra light reel, and 10lb test braid which has 2lb test diameter. My only complaint is that braid can be kind of finicky on a small reel with a light lure; if it gets too loose on the spool, it sometimes just kind of explodes and you end up having to cut it off and throw most of it out.

Last edited:
D

DethanB

This is awesome... Being I'm a "Rookie" (first year fishing starting last month) can I ask a bunch of stupid questions regarding lures and so forth. I'm about as green as one gets so I'm really looking to learn here...

C

chris61182

Just figured I'd offer up some "proof" of my techniques. The chinook was caught at Green Peter after just paddling away from the Thistle Creek ramp on my 3/8oz black bangtail. The bass was caught at Fern Ridge, Perkin's Peninsula Park on one of those 1/16oz black jigs cast from shore.

C

Combat Chuck

I have some questions with the kinds of lures you can throw from the bank successfully. Ive typically left lures for trolling and powerbait for the bank but ive recently had success with panther martins and rooster tails on the bank. Is there a good way to cast the lighter lures such as triple teaser, tasmanian devils, midge wobbler etc...? Ive tried doing things like adding a split shot but never really seemed to get it to work quite right.

D

DethanB

Well, first of all, I truly thank you guys for postings and I'm just sitting in the background trying to learn. Unfortunately, I'm a show me once and I'll do it forever type of guy and trying to learn from reading is not my forte :(

For starters, I keep seeing Bang Tail, but I do a Google on it and I come up with Bagley Bang-O-Lures. Are these what I should be looking for, or is this way off? I don't really see a White or Black one here?

What's the difference between a Blue Fox Vibrax and a Rooster Tail? They both seem quite similar to me?

Jigs? What is a Jig? I see one post here that says to just let it float, but I thought the nature of a jig was to bounce it? I used to deep sea fish up in Alaska (Breed and Raised up there) from time to time when a friend would invite me to go along. We used what they called a "Jig" which was a squid/tentacle looking hook that we just dropped straight down off of the boat, bounced it a couple of times and caught a Rock Bass. So with Lake Trout (stockers) how does one cast this out and "bounce it" or am I way off on this type of "Jig?"

Chatter Bait. I (again) did a Google on this one and came up with these two different styles. One to me looks like the Jig we used to us up in Alaska for deep sea, and the other looks like a minnow. I'm assuming you folks are referrring to the minnow looking lure?

Although most people that have been fishing are familiar with the terminology being posted here, a Rookie like myself has no idea what these things are. I really don't want to burden any of you in your fun of posting, but if maybe a link or two regarding the types of lures you are using (or even pictures) to a manufacturers website showing the Lure would be extremely helpful to me and any other lurkers out here trying to learn. That way I can run to Joes/Sportsmans/Wal-Mart/KMart and buy up and give them a try. Also, maybe a quick tutorial on how to use each one? I know this is not the thread for a tutorial, but maybe a link to another thread on "how to's" would be good, eh?!

I know part of the fun of fishing it learning what works and doesn't work, but I could be doing it bass ackwards and never know it. As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, my son really wants to get into Fishing, so I'd love to see him hook into one to keep his interest in it, so any and all help is greatly appreciated from you folks!!!!

Thank you so much for the help so far, and I'll try and figure things out as they are posted!! :)

Last edited:
Troutski

Troutski

DethanB

DethanB

Sorry, sometimes we forget about neophytes, we were all there at one time or another. Don't feel like you shouldn't ask a question, if some one would have told me that when I first started I could have saved a ton of money....just not buying the wrong stuff because I misunderstood someone, trust me - ASK. Fishing success is directly proportional to the amount of time spent on the water. Great knot tying skills are very important, confidence will come with success....There are a ton of lures on the market at this very moment that will catch fish and anglers alike,I think the key is presentation. Speed of retrieve, action given to the lure, weather conditions. Some people think that scent is monumental when it comes to being successful, don't eat a sandwich with onion on it. Bananas cause one to be skunked.....Try to go with someone that has some history with angling, watch and learn...Tight lines to you.

Chuck

D

DethanB

Chris61182, thank you "VERY MUCH" for the information and taking the time to answer me! AWESOME!

yes, I saw your pictures above, but one lure looks like the rest to me, and my inability to follow directions has shown through here and I appologize for that! I'm a true man that never reads directions and if I'd done so here I wouldn't have had so many questions, i.e, "From Left to Right!"

I'll try to be a bit more intelligible in the future :)

D

DethanB

Fishing success is directly proportional to the amount of time spent on the water.

I'm trying to get out as often as I can with my son, but the weather hasn't been very favorable (for us).

Great knot tying skills are very important, confidence will come with success....

HA HA Ha Ha ha ha.... Yeah, here is another thing to watch me do! It takes me a good couple of minutes to tie one not with these small lines. I read on some places where these guys can tie the knots without even looking. I'm sitting there fumbling with one thinking, "Yeah right, and they probably walk on water too!" :)

There are a ton of lures on the market at this very moment that will catch fish and anglers alike,I think the key is presentation. Speed of retrieve, action given to the lure, weather conditions.

Oh, I'm sure anyone with an idea and the ability to market will create something and sell it on late night infomercials! I'm surprised there aren't more electronic devices available, lures, and so forth (as I mentioned above) as I'm sure people would buy up on them whether they work or not!

Try to go with someone that has some history with angling, watch and learn...Tight lines to you.

Well, I tried this over the last two years. My son has been bugging me to go fishing for that long and I asked several friends at work (that fish all the time) to take us out and teach us the ropes. Two years later here I am reading blogs, and diving in head first with the son trying to make heads and tales out of this stuff. So, I'm content learning here and trying to make it work out in the local lakes. I'm sure part of our unsuccessful outings is the weather, and the other is just plain inexperience. I bug the people at the lakes when I'm out there and ask what they are using, and what to do. So sooner or later I'll catch on and figure out what I'm doing, but I sure do appreciate you guys helping me out here!

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Troutski

Troutski

Father and son

Father and son

Stick it out, I started fishing when my son came home with a Trout from down the street. He went on to tell me that he caught it just below the bridge...a light went off in my head "under a bridge, maybe I should be down there with him" well thousands of dollars later here I am still fishing with my son, the time we spent together is price less. We have become pretty good friends over the years, still hold one week of vacation for our annual trip to Central Oregon. If you find yourself heading south some time and have some time to fish, let me know I would be more that happy to give you a guided trip with all the trimmings.

Chuck

C

chris61182

Ahhhh... Is there a major difference between these and a Rooster Tail? In looking at a Rooster Tail there doesn't seem to be all the glitz and glamour on the spoon and the part between the spoon and hook? I guess that's what makes a Bang Tail much better eh? More visibility?

There is very little if no difference between rooster tails and bang tails, they're literally the same thing just different brands. The bang tail comes with an extra swivel on the eyelet which would be useful for someone who has problems with line twist and rooster tails. But my reason for preferring the bang tail is that in the last few years the rooster tails I've been buying don't spin as well as they used to.

As far as the holographic tape on the blade, rooster tails come with that too. Actually if you are looking for a specific coloration you'll probably have the easiest time finding it on a rooster tail because they have a very large selection.

It seems to me the fish are after "Visible" type lures? Has anyone invented a lure using L.E.D. Lights? They are extremely cheap these days and with a small hearing aid battery I'm sure they would be extremely visible in murky water such as what's at Walter Wirth lake right now. I might even try putting one on a Rooster tail or Bang Tail?

Any ideas or thoughts?

While there will certainly be days that one factor or another is the dominant reason for success, fish are shockingly complex creatures, if it doesn't look right, smell right, sound right, feel right, or their lateral line (6th sense) tells them something is wrong they won't bite.

D

DethanB

Stick it out, I started fishing when my son came home with a Trout

Oh, I'm going to give it a good college try this year with him. I'm not going anywhere yet!! :)

If you find yourself heading south some time and have some time to fish, let me know I would be more that happy to give you a guided trip with all the trimmings.

WOW, right on. If I head South, I'll definitely hook up with you! Thank you!

C

chris61182

There are a ton of lures on the market at this very moment that will catch fish and anglers alike,I think the key is presentation. Speed of retrieve, action given to the lure, weather conditions.

I'll also add a huge factor to the list above, locating the fish. My experience definitely coincides with the old saying that 90% of the fish are located in 10% of the water.

They have the same basic needs we do; comfort, shelter, and food. If you can find a location that has all three of these you'll be nearly guaranteed to find the fish. Though this gets especially difficult when the fish are relating to abstract or invisible structure like current flow or temperature gradients.

D

DethanB

While there will certainly be days that one factor or another is the dominant reason for success, fish are shockingly complex creatures, if it doesn't look right, smell right, sound right, feel right, or their lateral line (6th sense) tells them something is wrong they won't bite.

Makes sense. I was just at Bi-Mart after I posted that LED question and saw they had an electronic lure. I just started laughing when I saw it. It wasn't an LED lure, but some other type of electronics?

I did see the Bangtails (one word) though, and they look identical to the Rooster tail! Thanks again for the info.

C

chris61182

Makes sense. I was just at Bi-Mart after I posted that LED question and saw they had an electronic lure. I just started laughing when I saw it. It wasn't an LED lure, but some other type of electronics?

Yeah that was probably an e-chip you saw. I think those are mostly geared towards salmon/steelhead but if they work they'll work for many more species of fish.

I did see the Bangtails (one word) though, and they look identical to the Rooster tail! Thanks again for the info.

Hey no problem!

J

jvc7

Well if we are talking about my favorite lure, it has to be the Buzz-bomb. its pretty close to a nordic jig.They have them in pink, orange(my favorite), white w/ fades. this lure has never let me down. if in doubt i always turn to it! just because u can use it in pretty much any way. trolling, casting it, jigigin it.:dance:

Top Bottom