My current intention

plumbertom

is to go to Charleston in the morning to give the crabs a try.
First trip since the lockdown.
Hope I get some enthusiastic cooperation from them crustaceans.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Pepper and I are going to crab the lower Siuslaw Thursday, I haven't had any reports so just hoping for at least a tasty dinner...

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Lower Siuslaw- nothing. just a few smalls working my way down to just past the A4 bouy. tried several of my normal areas and just no crawlers on the bottom. 5 hours, 2 pots, 10 pulls each, from CG station to A4- didn't measure a single crab.

Last edited:

plumbertom

Sorry about the late report. I was just not online yesterday due to being worn out from the day before on the water.
This getting old sucks. Still I guess it beats the alternative.
Any way, We got on the water at Charleston marina about 9:30 or shortly after.
We headed across to the bay toward Clam Island. I'd heard that the crabs were a bit more upriver from where we normally crab. We set our trap line from about the south end of the island upstream.
Two lines of three actually, one in 25 ft. the other in 17 ft. went to fish what structure we could find, with little luck I might add, and after an hour or so came back and pulled them.
All three traps in the deeper water were empty. I suspect they had a few small crabs because the bait was well picked at, but that they escaped through the cage while pulling it up.
The shallower traps were doing much better although the legal sized males were scarce among them. We moved all the traps into the shallower water and reset them for the slack tide soak.
A bit more fishing structure with little to show, I caught a couple of blacks about 2 pounds each and got a couple more strikes but that was it for the day.
There was a tremendous amount of bait in the bay. I was metering bait balls all over and saw several bait boils up on the surface. There were bait fish jumping in ones and twos almost everywhere.
I suspect the only reason I caught the two fish I did catch was because I hit them on the nose with my jig.
After our second and final trap pull, we came up with 14 legal crabs a few of which were not completely hard. One was about 7'' across.
That's 6 traps over about 3-1/2 hours in 17 ft of water. Chicken for bait with a few pieces of shad chopped in chunks as well.
On a side note, I saw no sea lions around the cribs area. They are usually A PITA when we fish there. There were also few seagulls around. When we emptied our bait bags none of those freeloaders showed up to claim our discards.
Not sure what that means but it's the first time I recall that being the case.