My biggest crappie yet!

S
sportsmanlio
Caught this on a black/white jig in the Klamath River. It was one of only three fish I caught, but it made it worth it. It measured 12 1/2" and 1 lb 3 ounces. Great day!

T
TTFishon
That's a fatty for sure!!! Nice one!!!

troutdude
troutdude
That's a "GOOD" crappie...

as in good for your table! NICE!

S
sportsmanlio
Thanks! I know they get bigger elsewhere, but around Klamath Falls, anything over 3/4 pound is big for a black crappie. Gerber gets some big white crappie, but its all blacks in the river.

F
fisherofmen
very nice slab, beauty. and tasty.

C
Coyote
Beautiful fish. Far outweighs any crappie I've pulled in lol

S
sportsmanlio
Thanks! This has been a banner year. I haven't caught near as many as I did last year (I caught 61 fish in one afternoon/evening last year), but they have been bigger this year. My fishing companions and I have pulled out about 10 fish over the 3/4 lb mark, which is very good.

We try to practice catch a release as much as possible for the big ones, while keeping most of the fish in the 8-9" range. This helps to reduce the number of fish and (hopefully) reduces competition for food, allowing the fish to grow larger in size.

Personally, I don't think there is any crappie there that is a potential state record, but I know there are fish in the 2+ pound range, because I talk to everyone I see there, and I hear reliable stories.

For a shot at the state record, apparently Merlin Ponds near Grants Pass are the ticket.