My ambassadeur reel has no drag?

C
CFishRun
Why would the drag on my ambassador casting reel all of a sudden loose its drag. I tighten the drag all the way down and I can still easily pull line out. Any ideas?

B
beaverfan
try twisting the knob the other way. I had used right handed casting reels then switched to left handed ones. Well turns out the drag is the opposite on left vs. right. The end result was me thinking that both my new reels broke on the same trip. I showed them to my dad and he was like you have the drag all the way loose not all the way tight.

G
GDBrown
What a Drag

What a Drag

CFishRun said:
Why would the drag on my ambassador casting reel all of a sudden loose its drag. I tighten the drag all the way down and I can still easily pull line out. Any ideas?

Two reasons come to mind.
1st. You may have turned the star wheel in the wrong direction, as I am prone to do.:rolleyes:
2nd you may have excess lubricant the has gotten in the drag system where it is undesirable.

GD

O
osmosis
leaving the drag tight while not using the reel can ruin it over time. new drag washers are super cheap and easy to install.

C
CFishRun
Thanks for the quick reply. It is not that I'm turning it the wrong way. I'd have to give up fishing and become a blonde if that were the case. Joking. I never store my reels with a tightened drag for that reason, plus it's only a year old. I'll check on the drag washer and see if it is in fact compressed to the point in which you are talking about. I haven't yet lubed the reel so I'm not certain that the lube could have gotten in there, but I'll check that as well.

All good suggestions and thank you.

Talk about quick replies you must all be on an extended lunch break like myself? Don't lie, you're "fishing" on the company dole.

A
Airs98
Do you have braid on it? It might be that the line is slipping around the spool.

C
CFishRun
It turns out the Braided Line I put on there was sliding around the arbor. So now what do I do to remedy this little predicament. I never use braid but this is my bobber rod and I really like the way the braid mends. Any suggestions?

Let me know-Thanks again for all the replies.

A
Airs98
CFishRun said:
It turns out the Braided Line I put on there was sliding around the arbor. So now what do I do to remedy this little predicament. I never use braid but this is my bobber rod and I really like the way the braid mends. Any suggestions?

You can either use mono backing on your spool spliced to your braid using uni knot or you can use electrical tape. Both methods work fine.

T
the salmon kid
in between the star drag tightener you have 2 little discs called clam springs check to see if they are flat those clam springs are what put tension on you drag disk and if they are flat you can easily get a pair of pliers and slowly bend them back in to position,..,and when they are together they should look like a little clam had the same thing happen to me on my abu garcia 5500c3 hope this helps

D
DirectDrive
CFishRun said:

It's the braid thing....again.
For those reading this thread that have not tried braid on a "revolving spool" reel, (aka baitcaster, levelwind), you need to properly adhere the braid to the spool's arbor.
Braid is by nature very slick and therein lies the problem, it needs traction to lock down on that arbor.

As aptly stated, a short monofilament starter or tape applied to the arbor is necessary.
Electrical tape or teflon tape works well. Wrap the tape in the same direction as the line will be wrapped so that it will continue to tighten as the line is wrapped on.

This problem happens over and over as folks decide to try braid.