My 1st post: I fished lake Lake Oswego this last weekend (photos)

E
exbassguide
I fished Lake Oswego this weekend and we got a total of about 30 bass three bass were over 3lbs.
We also got into lots of crappie. We landed over 200 crappie. The bass were very near shore and near docks.
The crappie were in shade in the back of a bay.
Lures that worked best (If you know me you know the lure:) We used some senko TYPE lures. The size of the bait was 3 inches. The color that worked best was a chartreuse with some core shot orange (perch imitation). Red bug worked well also. We also had luck with crank baits.

If you have never fished this size of senko, I ask you to consider giving them a try (an honest try). I think you will be shocked at the number of fish you catch! This bait can help you find a pattern FAST. You get more bites and you will understand things like the depth the active fish are holding in. Also with 75% more bites you can dial in presentation and color preferences.
So a good way to start to find fish is using a search bait like a spinner bait or crank bait. And keep moving till you get bit or you figure out they are just not hitting search baits today. If you get a hit or you catch a bass set down the search bait and cover the area with plastics. If you do not get bit in a few minutes switch back to search baits and keep moving. One other thing I do to try to quickly figure out the best depth for the active bass. Is fish piling rows or long docks. This will help you quickly determine a depth to focus on. Then start fishing other cover types till you find a pattern the fish are doing.
One other thing I do that most others do not do is I add a small weight to the line in front of the bait.
Lots of fishermen say fish this bait weightless. But being successful at bass fishing is more that about fishing. A very big part of being a very good bass fishermen is about TIME MANAGMENT! If I add a small weight to my lure it sinks a bit faster and over time I can make double the cast to good targets. and with hitting more targets you will land more bass. And if you land more bass you have better odds of landing more big bass in that time frame. I manage my time in great detail. I have several rods rigged and I am very good at getting my bait unhooked from stuff like brush, bocks, rocks, logs..... If you fish TONS you find ways to save time and that pays BIG dividends!

Let me go into how I fish plastic baits. First understand bass most often feed by sight. and bass can normally see two to 6 feet through the water. I use this site feeding as a big part of color selection of my lures and baits! But there are other things that can get a basses attention like sound. Sound can increase the number of bass that move to your bait. and if you get more fish moving to your bait you will get more bites. So I shake all my plastic lures. So this is how I fish plastics. Cast to good target. Let the bait sink to the bottom with a bow in your line but keep an eye on your line you could get bit on the fall. After the bait hits the bottom I drop the rod tip to just below about 45 degrees. Reel in any slack but do not move the bait with the reel! I start softly shaking the bait. As I shake the bait it starts to move toward me and I start to get a little slack line. I start raising my rod tip to take up the slack. When my rod tip gets near vertical I stop drop the rod tip and reel in the slack and let the bait fall back to the bottom. Fishing slow in the right spots allows big bass time to move on the bait and look it over and hopefully hit it. The bass are on or near the bottom most of the time! I will post a link to my free book.

Below is a copy of my silver lake map: good luck!
--NEWest--SilverLakeMAP.png

DSCN1721.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

Reactions: Admin
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Surprised it took you so long to find this place, Roger. Welcome aboard. Those are a couple toads you have there. I'll second your 3" senko approach - when I started fishing 3 inchers on your recommendation, my catch rate went up. Incidental other-than-bass catch rates went up too - I caught a cutthroat trout in a creek arm of Hagg Lake one spring on the 3 inch red with metal flake senko, weightless wacky rigged. It's also landed me some nice perch and lots of bass. The 3 inch senko is such an effective bait, I've tied up some flies to imitate it when I'm swinging a bug wand around - and today one of the few sniffs I got from bass (no hook ups or bass landed on the fly today) was from a purple colored wacky-tied worm imitation. The fly is way floppier than the plastic, but they weren't going for streamers or minnow imitations, nor crawfish imitations - but the 3" "soft wacky" at least got the fish to come give it a good look.

Still trying to figure out where the hungry fish have moved to at this point - I've not landed a bass in the last couple outings - I didn't target bed-sitters during the spawn, and now that we are comfortably post spawn, the only fish I've seen up shallow have been babies, save for one dad that was guarding a school of fry - which was chasing 9-12 inch trout around near the dam today. He wasn't trying to eat the trout - but he rammed and nipped at them a lot to make them go away. Was fun to watch.

I'm glad someone gets to fish Oswego once in a while - I see way too many boats docked, and never see any of them out fishing. Too many wake boats too, but those never seem to get run either.

E
exbassguide
GungasUncle said:
Surprised it took you so long to find this place, Roger. Welcome aboard..
I found some of my best action at Hagg is very early. I fish boat ramp A dock before the rush moves in and I move on. Small mouth love steep points. You can see steep point from a long way away by the cut in the bank at the high water mark. I also fish around the dam pre first light with top water and got lots of 5 pounders.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Roger

T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF. I meet you several years ago at Hagg. You were on a pontoon and I was kayaking around ramp A. You showed me your senko setup and I have had good success with it. Nice report and pics.

D
DrTheopolis
Welcome to OFF.

The body of water is Oswego Lake, which is located in the city of Lake Oswego.

And most of us will never fish there, since it's private property.

But I didn't realize there was big fish in there.

M
mustardthetrout
Great post! What were the crappie caught on?

D
DrTheopolis
Lurker said:
This is inaccurate.

Only 50% inaccurate.

I got the name right.

E
exbassguide
mustardthetrout said:
Great post! What were the crappie caught on?

Trout magnets with white or orange body. Trout magnet is one of the very best jig hooks! The point of the hook is like about 1/2 inch from the eyelet of the jig hook and that equals a GREAT hook up rate!
Roger

D
DirectDrive
Raincatcher said:
Well, I'll be damned. I have always been told it was private and have seen the signs. Maybe we should have a forum get together there...:D Wouldn't that frost their smug mugs?! :lol:
Be kinda fun to launch a giant Party Barge and have fun throwin bass baits under their docks.
Music and BBQ in full bloom as well.

Great first post !!!

L
Lurker
DirectDrive said:
Be kinda fun to launch a giant Party Barge and have fun throwin bass baits under their docks.
Music and BBQ in full bloom as well.

My devious motive is slowly working. :hi:

D
DrTheopolis
DirectDrive said:

And therein lies the rub -- while the water of the lake is public, every boat launch is private.

I suppose you could get a whole bunch of people to pick it up and throw it OFF the bridge on South Shore. Takeout might be a problem. Maybe get it on plane and jump the little dam into Sucker Creek.

Casting Call
Casting Call
DrTheopolis said:
And therein lies the rub -- while the water of the lake is public, every boat launch is private.

I suppose you could get a whole bunch of people to pick it up and throw it OFF the bridge on South Shore. Takeout might be a problem. Maybe get it on plane and jump the little dam into Sucker Creek.
DR.T. Taking craft in and out of Oswego Lake is not a problem. A good 6:1 mechanical advantage will get the job done. I am ready to do this launch, just tell me time and date. We'll show the status quo! Tony

C
cdat
I'm up for it, time to make that lake public again!!

tbrinks
tbrinks
Welcome to OFF.

I have never fished Oswego but will definitely try it. Those are some good looking bass.

It looks like it is mapped fairly well considering many of the comments are like me and never fish it. Will only get better with people uploading their logs to Navionics.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 1.20.47 PM.jpg

I
iairj84
I have been really wanting to launch my kayak into Lake Oswego at some point, if for no other reason than to get all the "Lake Police" upset. Ever since I read the article about the person kayaking it it....

hobster
hobster
Raincatcher said:
Well, I'll be damned. I have always been told it was private and have seen the signs. Maybe we should have a forum get together there...:D Wouldn't that frost their smug mugs?! :lol:

I'm down, after reading that article i'd love to ruffle some feathers up there :thumb:

M
Mattyonthebass
Did anyone ever try fishing there after reading this? I have a float tube and I think I might check it out. I'm alway up for ruffling some feathers.

L
Lurker
Seems like a questionable time of the year to bass fish, unless your only goal is to upset the locals... I'd recommend giving it at least a couple months.

M
Mattyonthebass
Lurker;n602220 said:
Seems like a questionable time of the year to bass fish, unless your only goal is to upset the locals... I'd recommend giving it at least a couple months.

I am definitely going to wait till it gets warmer. I was just wondering if anyone ever ended up trying it.